No Login Option

David Alan

Registered
I have previously set my mac so a login name and password are required on start up. I have just done this on my new mac, but for some reason it is not appearing at start up.

I may be having a 'senior moment', but can anyone suggest why this may be the case?

Thanks, David

OK. Just launch system Preferences (from the Dock)->Accounts and then highlight your account. The click on the bottom bar that says "Login Options" and then you will be able to put a check mark in what you want.

Let us know if this has been already done. Good Luck from one old man to another.

Thanks. That is what I did! I have an automatic login name, name and password and show restart (etc.) ticked.

Baffles me.

David

OK. Well we have to reset the account preference file. Just make sure you DON'T DELETE the files. Go to the folder /YourHardDrive/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/ and drag the file com.apple.systempreferences.plist to the desktop. Then restart.

After the restart open System Preferences->Accounts back up and re-setup the Login Items again. You then can go back to the file you dragged to the desktop and delete it. This SHOULD fix it.

Thanks.

I did work out how to sort this yesterday. It was me being silly. Then when I came to login it wouldn't let me, despite me being clear about my user name and password. I later realised that it is was probably because it expects the ACTUAL user name (i.e. under users, rather than under accounts) and not the one in accounts. I restored my disc, which Time Machine did well except for my historic emails, and am plucking up the courage to reset my login details.

I am away on business for two days and will venture forth on my return.

Thanks for your help.

David

Back