NO .Mac services for free (official)

Apple, you want me to pay a full $130 for a Jaguar upgrade and $100 per year for iTools? I'm outta here...

-Rob

I'm with the folks that never really used iTools for much of anything. I registered a mac.com only for the hell of it, and I've never used it mainly cause it's my real name and I don't just go giving that out on the web. the only other thing I used was the iDisk, and that was for hosting of my avatar images on other BBs. I'm sure I can find another free service since Apple has now decided to yank this from being free. Yet I also agree that there should still be a mega watered down free version of .Mac or whatever the hell you wanna call it that allows those of us who have no intention of going hardcore in our use of Apple's services can make do with. Oh well, now I'm just sitting back and seeing how successful Apple's gonna be w/ their new .Mac scheme

BTW, for anyone looking for a new free email service because of this I use www.inbox.net which has many domain names to choose from, and I haven't had many problems w/ it considering that the service is still free. I've also heard that fastmail.fm is a popular one among the free email crowd as well. Just thought I'd throw these out in case anyone else wasn't excited about having to go hotmail/yahoo.

You should not pay for email period!!!!!

Bah!!!

Anwyay:D

here is what i posted to the feedback thing on Apples website...its honestly how i feel.(sorry if it sounds harsh...just my thoughts of disgust)

Dear Apple(You too JOBS!!!)

Well well lads, you seriously blew it large, a revolt is happening in the underground, and im afraid to say it does not look good.

Here is my story.

I am a dirt poor working/student who scrounged enough to be able to upgrade my B&W G3 400 to a QS 867, with plenty of space and ram to boot, and i was looking so forward to Jaguar giving me even more speed than i have now.
I thought it was fun to post picts of my friends up, and tell them that little bit of space i had was because i was apart of the mac community. That made me feel proud.
It no longer brings these types of emotions out of me, i wept today....as i am almost resorting to ekk..other means of finding my software,due to my poorness,its either the .Mac account or the new 10.2....hmmmm...maybe ill just pay for one, alas i may have to venture out into the real(FREE) world to find the software and get things done the old fashioned cheap way.

Alas , i dont feel as though i would be as bitter, had you not taken what you had promised would be mine "FOREVER" away from me...for a cash grab you'll never get.......

Goodbye iTools...you made alot of sense before you ran away to New York city.

Well guys and gals,

I simply can't afford $100/year for email and a web page, so my iTools/.Mac account will fade into oblivion in September. It was nice....while it lasted.

I am disappointed in Mr. Jobs, $100/year for this service is too expensive. Apple must be searchng for cash in this economic downturn.

I think it might be cheaper just to get a cable modem and leave the computer on if I want to host a website. Apple isn't even providing an ISP for $100/year....C'mon Steve, whatcha been smokin' buddy? And what's all this I hear about virex anti-virus software with the .Mac service? There aren't anymore MAC viruses anymore! Apple's market share is so low that the hackers aren't motivated enough to write the viruses. There would be so little damage that it wouldn't even make the national news. We have bothing to worry about as far as viruses are concerned.

There would be so little damage that it wouldn't even make the national news.
it wouldn't even make the LOCAL news. Virus protection and mac can't coincide in the same sentence, much less internet service.

I'm also not happy about the intended fees, nor am I willing to pay any amount for a need that is even less that "basic".

I use iDisk only for my avatars, thats the only thing that I registered. A "mac.com" email addy is nice but I hardly ever use it.

If theres anyone here who knows another free HD storage site, please let us know.

I'm even OK with just 5 Mb...even less. Thanks in advance.

:mad:

Back