no new prefpanes will show up

boi

official breaker of macs.
is there some sort of prefpane preference (redundant, no?) that i can delete to get my preferences to work? no matter which prefpane i add, it won't recognize it.

thanks.

Well it all depends where you are puttinng them, please be more specific. What is it you're trying to do?.

i'm adding them in ~/library/preferencepanes and /library/preferencepanes. i even use the installers with some of the programs and they won't show up in my system preferences.
i'm just trying to add 3rd party preference panes. for some reason, system preferences stopped recognizing new ones. the old 3rd party ones still work though.

bol -
Have you quit and restarted System Preferences? It only looks for new preference panes when it first starts up.

yup. i have.
quit/restart/shut down, etc. all tried.

back in the 10.2.0 days people were having duplicate prefpanes problem. i for one was missing the 'accounts' pane. i deleted some preference file in ~/library and it fixed it. does anyone know what this file is? i have the feeling it's the culprit yet again.

delete com.apple.preferencepanes.cache
also com.apple.systempreferences.plist
Also wouldn't hurt to use one of the utils that deletes your caches. And then reboot your system, should work!

Back