No One Mentioned This!!!!

BBenve

Apple seeder
Or at least.. i havent been browsing here much lately but nowwhere in other site i have seen this thing... and i believe is QUITE important

TEXT EDIT now has an option to save as RTF and DOC file.. i haven t seen this in Jag so i guess it is a new feature of Panther i guess it is a new feature of the TEXT edit V1.3 in panther.. COOL .... OFFICE REPLACEMENT...... on the way...

Wow, that is interesting! As you imply. this is a good indication for Apple's own office software (since they wouldn't go to the trouble of sorting out Word compatibility just for TextEdit).

Also no one posted news on the new ownership and permission...that now states... YOU CAN and then READ /Write ... r only read...blah blah blah..
Finallyy i know what i can do now...lol

EDIT

Also i am amazed no one mentioned the OPTION restore from disk utilitylet you restore from a source to a target..quite nice..

It's been on macnews.net.tc and MacBidouille for a few days now. :)

It's a nice thing and will extend speculation about Apple/Microsoft, I'm sure...

Well, it seems as if we dont need microsoft making things for mac.

MSN Messenger - we've got iChat with AV support, who needs msn???

MS Entourage - Mail.app is better... it doesnt have a calendar, but that's what iCal is for!

MS Word - TextEdit now can save in .doc format, and can open it too, plus its made by apple, so it must be better. Oh ya, and its FREEE!

Internet Explorer - Safari 1.0 is much faster, and has amazing features like tabs and spellcheck. Also, Safari has NEVER unexpectedly quit, and i ALWAYS have it open.

Microsoft Excel - I heard a rumor that Apple is making iWorks which is the Apple equivalent of Office. It includes something that will knock Excel out of our memories. (meaning it will be better than excel, sorry if i scared u).

Powerpoint - ummm isnt there something that apple made that's better than it..... hmmmmmm........ well to make slideshows, you can use iPhoto. yay.

MSN for mac - hahahahahahaHAHahhHAHhahHHAhAhhaha! this is a joke! WHO WOULD COPY AOL?!
It has Messenger (we have ichat already), a web browser (safari is my most used app), hotmail email (mail.app and .mac slaps hotmail in the face, making its face all red, causing pain to it), and access to parts of the msn website which we can ALREADY GO TO. yay.
Windows Media Player - this is just a bad copy of realplayer. Streaming media can also be done on quicktime, and it must be a million times better anyway.
Do we need MS anymore? maybe for virtual pc, but what do we need virtual pc for really? we can open .doc files in mac. Games suck on it. Its over.

An Apple version of Office would be interesting, and I'm far from any fan of M$, but that said, Office is a good suite and any Apple offering would have to raise the bar.
I'm glad about the text edit, for too long it's still been tied to its MacWrite roots (for those who remember back to those days).
And I agree with the rest of what Androo said, except that Safari crashed on me last night, or to use the term "unexpectedly closed". :)

Sadly, it won't be about which is better. As soon as MS decides not to make MS Office for the Mac any longer, the platform will again lose attractivity, sad as it is. Yes, you can open word files in TextEdit, yes you can PowerPoint in Keynote... But the fact that the Mac had (has) MS Office around makes it far more attractive than, say, Linux. (Yes, other reasons for other subjects.)

So... While Apple may be ready to take MS head on, the market maybe won't see it that way.

(And try to work with Keynote and PowerPoint together on a document... Won't work. Sure, both can open the file, but not everything is always interpreted the same way by both apps.)

First, I think it would be cool for Apple to make an office-type product but I don't think that I would buy it. I already have ms office and it is the standard. Why ditch a set of apps i have used for years, to throw some money into a new app that may or may not be decent?

Secondly, yes it's safe to say that within the mac community I don't care about what apps windows computers are running, and whether my mac can run them, as long as there is a similar app out there. Unfortunately as of right now things like ichat and msn messenger don't play well together. My buddy can take an online course and talk to his professor with pc's, but i can't talk to him using the same software. Yes there are things we could do to make it work, but most people would not want to go through the trouble of doing that. Losing MS support is not something to celebrate because it further isolates Apple, as has been said here before.

Originally posted by uoba
Wow, that is interesting! As you imply. this is a good indication for Apple's own office software (since they wouldn't go to the trouble of sorting out Word compatibility just for TextEdit).
Would they have to do much... Couldn't ClarisWorks/AppleWorks do this?

If not that I assume the could license this functionality from the DataViz folks who used to have thier FileExchange software included as part of OS 8 and earlier...

DataViz support was always lousy. TextEdit's support seems much more 'native'. Although it doesn't succeed always, it seems fast and clear.

you mean like plain text? It's always been able to do that but you have to select "make plain text" from the format menu.

If you mean like wysiwyg html editing, well there's some command line utilities to convert from rtf to html but it's better to get mozilla composer or something.

Originally posted by BBenve
TEXT EDIT now has an option to save as RTF and DOC file.. i haven t seen this in Jag so i guess it is a new feature of Panther i guess it is a new feature of the TEXT edit V1.3 in panther..
Actually, Steve himself mentioned it in the Keynote! Weren't you watching?

Back