No startup disk in Leopard??

macshaun

Registered
Just installed Windows XP SP2 on my Macbook Pro (Leopard) and both are working beautifully. The only problem is that in order for me to boot to OSX I need to hold down the Option key and select it. Tried going into System Preferences > Startup Disk but alas not startup disk for OSX or Windows showing.

Any ideas on how I can make OSX my default operating system at boot...??

Several possible helps for this:
Boot to OS X, and select your OS X partition in the System Preferences Startup Disk pref pane
Boot to Windows, go to Control Panel, and choose your boot disk in the Startup Disk control panel. This will be installed as part of the Apple drivers install for windows. If you don't see that control panel, install your Windows drivers by inserting your Leopard install DVD while you are booted to Windows.

Or, boot to your Leopard installer disk (or your restore DVD if you have a Mac sold since Leopard was released.) and choose the Startup Disk from the Utilities menu. Select your Mac boot volume from there, then restart.
Any of those should work....

thanks DM....managed to configure it through Windows. Any idea as to why I can't see the two systems under my Startup Disk in OS X.....?

I don't have any idea about that. How long did you wait for your Mac to show your boot volumes in your Startup Disk pref pane?

been waiting about 15 minutes.......maybe another bug in Leopard perhaps..? It is showing the Network Startup option but that's it...also strange that it shows all boot volumes in XP but not in OSX...

Boot to your Leopard installer disk, and open Disk Utility from the menus. Select your OS X volume, and click the Repair Disk button. Your other partition, which would be the Windows partition, might be test-able, if formatted fat32. NTFS cannot be checked from OS X, yet.
Restart after that is complete.

tried the repair on both the OSX and Windows partition (FAT32)...both disks seemed OK. Still no luck with seeing these boot partitions within Startup Disk. When the OSX Leopard installation CD is in I get the option to boot from the Installation CD but not from the OS partitions. Not a big deal I guess as i can still select the required OS from within Windows or holding down Option during boot. Would have been nice to figure this out. Maybe I should try reloading OSX again....?

Made a new account just for this problem!!

I am having the exact same issue! I have no volumes listed in my startup disk window while inside Leopard! I have no idea why this is happening.

My problem is that I have a wireless apple keyboard and it doesn't seem to recognize me holding down the option button in time to open the boot menu and for me to choose Windows.

There has to be a reason why there are no volumes showing up!

this program lets you choose a bootable drive at startup, its pretty nice, but i still cant see any startup drives in my macosx either.

kevin

Thanks for the input kevin but this was fixed some time ago......can't remember how this was fixed but it is ok now......will close this

Back