No valid packages

JimmyP1

Registered
This is the message I get when using Disc Utility; my computer needs this file called "BaseSystem.pkg" in order to work and it is supposed to be in my resource file, but it is not. Where can I get this pkg?????

OS 10.4. and then how do I get it from my second computer (leopard software) back to the tiger files??? of my first computer?

What's in your /Library/Receipts folder? Anything? Did you happen to "clean" this folder out at one time or another?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2023

You can't copy the files from a Leopard install, since they won't work under Tiger. You'll need to follow the directions on the above link -- either restore the files from the backups that you keep regularly, reinstall the system, or locate another computer with 10.4 on it and copy the receipt packages from there.

Jeff,

I replied in your web page, but want others to see where we are. My resource file is empty. How do I go about filling it with the "BaseSystem.pkg?" Also where do I find this file? I have 10.4 installer disc, but am unable to access it as it does not recognize a drive.

Well, you have two options:

1) Copy the contents of /Library/Receipts from another computer running the same version of Mac OS X, or...
2) Reinstall Mac OS X from the install CDs/DVDs.

The Package Receipts are not, I do not think, located on the install CD/DVD. I believe they're created during installation, although I could be wrong. You can use a program like Pacifist to look through package installers and try and located them on the install CD/DVD.

Jeff,

Thank you for the two options I have. You might see me trying to find someone on this forlum who can download me a library>resource>BaseSystem.pkg as#2 of your recommendations will not work as without the BaseSystem.pkg my 10.4 cannot find a drive. One last question, how do I get the pkg on to my 10.4 computer??? I first need the file, then some means to load it into the iMac G5. I have to think on this. Thank you for your help.

Back