Nokia 7650 vs Sony Ericsson P800 or 68i

Kiwi Mike

Registered
Ideas pls, I am looking to upgrade but one of my concerns is what software is available under OSX to truely get functionality from these mobiles seems to be a lot of software for PC from Nokia and others but not for OSX so question is
which is the best connectivity mobile for OSX??

I would have to say: Go for Sony Ericsson. And that is just my personal opinion. I haven't tried one in action, but I have used Nokia with MacOS X for about 6 months now.

I have Nokia 6310i with a bluetooth connection. It works just fine with addressbook and connecting to internet (GPRS). But it doesn't have SyncML, which you need for iSync. Don't know what is the situation with 7650.

There is a lot of cool software for Ericsson. For example Sony Ericsson Clicker.

Check also www.macmedia.sk for Nokia

I'm thinking about switching to Ericsson...

I wish Nokias were more Mac - oriented ...
What kind of reception do you have where you are? At least in US t68i didn't seem a huge success because of its reception ..

I've read that reception-thing too from somewhere.

Is the reception really that bad with t68i? I haven't had any trouble with reception on my Nokia. Only trouble is that the bluetooth connection is not that stable. Maybe it's the Nokia, maybe it's the Jaguar, I don't know. But I have to restart my addressbook several times before I can get it to connect.

Addressbook also shows incoming calls, but doesn't show incoming SMS's very often. The buttons on the addressbook dialog (Answer, etc) do not work with my Nokia.

I read somewhere that Nokia is not planning to support MacOS X on any of it's products:(

They _should_ support. And they should support Linux (and *BSD) too.
I like Nokias so I've hade them since '96 untill this year - and I don't like migrating to Ericsson only because they don't want to be compatible with my system. :(

I had a T68i and it was not high-end quality despite several neat features. I had to have it serviced several times and the reception was lousy. Frightfully bad, in fact, I finally switched to Nokia and got the 7210. I lost some interaction with my Mac, but I really think it was worth it in terms of super reception and quality. I need a tri-band for US usage as well as for abroad, which limits some models out there.
I'll probably hold off till some of the new Nokias come out later this year/early '04 to see if bluetooth becomes a standard feature. At least I can 'tooth with my Tungsten/T pda.

Hi

i use my t68i in the UK, Dubai and Thailand - the reception has never been an issue... Don't know what it would be like over in Vietnam?

the only thing i find a bit of a pain is the slow menu (i always used Nokia before I bought this new phone...)

if they made a nokia that worked as well with mac as the t68i, i'd probably move back, but i love the fact that i can use iSync with my address book (i can't tell you the number of times i've had to re-input all my data as a result of losing my mobile on a "night out" (?!)) and Jonas Salling's software (such as the previously mentioned "Ericsson Clicker") is too much fun!

good luck with your decision!
:p

The reception in Vietnam is about on par with the rest of SE Asia. I had my 68 when there last year. In my time there, I thought reception was slightly better in HCMC than Hanoi. SMSing was really slow everywhere, even to another 68i in Nam, but that could have been delays from having to do an international roaming. The worst was up in Halong Bay, but that might be expected. Networks came and went on my 68i, but my g/f's was always a little more stable and picked things up better. Calls to and from other parts of SEAsia weren't as good as calling the US, oddly enough.
Some sms sent to Singapore and Vietnam didn't make it. I realize I was unlucky with that phone, but I had better reception in China on a T39.
I did see a big advertising market for SE phones there, moreso than Nokias. Hopefully, if you do go that route, you'll get one a little bit better than I had.

:(

btw, not to make Vietnam's reception sound bad, I had troubles in Austria of about the same caliber with that phone, though it worked as well as it ever did in Munich. The biggest reception problem was in Phoenix and Albuquerque, which led me to switch to Nokia.

I've heard better things about the p800 and the 7650, though not enough to consider getting a new phone... yet. :D

Originally posted by Kiwi Mike
Ideas pls, I am looking to upgrade but one of my concerns is what software is available under OSX to truely get functionality from these mobiles seems to be a lot of software for PC from Nokia and others but not for OSX so question is

Thanks guys for all your suggestions reception in Vietnam and Cambodia is actually good when using local provider but poor on internatioanl roaming, this aside its connectivity that I am looking for into OSX and of course my old Palm 111c and especially Entourage / Address book any P800 users out their ?;)

Originally posted by Kiwi Mike

Thanks for all your suggestions, actually reception in Vietnam and Cambodia is pretty good but often drops out on international roaming any P800 users out there ?

I haven't got the p800 (as you probably guessed from my earlier reply!) but this is because it doesn't yet appear to be supported by iSync or Jonas Salling's software...

i also found it slightly disappointing in terms of the quality of the photos it took, and the general "feel" of the phone. i felt it was better to hang on until they developed the "mini camera" technology a bit further...

the t68i works with both of these and therefore allows you to back up either apple address book, iCal or entourage (but I don't think you can do both?!)

check out this web page - it shows what is supported for the t68i at least :

http://homepage.mac.com/jonassalling/Shareware/

as for reception, i spend such a lot of time in uk / dubai / thailand that it made more sense for me to get a local connnection in each country - international roaming was costing too much...

:rolleyes:

a sign of things to come???

from the apple site :

" And for a whizzy trick that?s sure to impress, send an instant iCard with your own image taken by your mobile phone. Use a camera phone such as the Nokia 7650 or the Sony Ericsson P800 to take pictures, download them to your Mac over a Bluetooth connection, create an iCard, then send it using your phone?s GPRS connection. "

http://www.apple.com/bluetooth/

looks like it will be happening, even if it's not there yet...

iSync only works with the following phones at the moment :

Sony Ericsson T68i Ericsson R520 Ericsson T39 Ericsson T68 Ericsson T68c Ericsson T68m

http://www.apple.com/isync/

Originally posted by applewhore
a sign of things to come???

from the apple site :

" And for a whizzy trick that?s sure to impress, send an instant iCard with your own image taken by your mobile phone. Use a camera phone such as the Nokia 7650 or the Sony Ericsson P800 to take pictures, download them to your Mac over a Bluetooth connection, create an iCard, then send it using your phone?s GPRS connection. "

http://www.apple.com/bluetooth/

looks like it will be happening, even if it's not there yet...

iSync only works with the following phones at the moment :

Sony Ericsson T68i Ericsson R520 Ericsson T39 Ericsson T68 Ericsson T68c Ericsson T68m

http://www.apple.com/isync/

Think you are probably right, Apple will need to work with Nokia and SonyEricsson (unless we see iPhone rumours again) also Cebit shows new S/E 610 model maybe cheaper than P800

I have a T68i and I love it. I have no reception problems in the Minneapolis,MN US, infact it's reception is better then my Samsung PCS phone I got rid of. Some of the older T68i firmware did have some reception issues, but I haven't had any. My service is thru T-Mobile which has a very good GSM coverage here. I think alot of people's issues with the T68's in the US have been due to poor GSM coverage by alot of carriers in alot of US cities.

Brian

Check out the 10.2.5!

From Versiontracker:

- Includes Bluetooth support for Nokia 7650 and P800 phones.

Keep up the good work Apple:)

Originally posted by skoggis
Check out the 10.2.5!

From Versiontracker:

- Includes Bluetooth support for Nokia 7650 and P800 phones.

Keep up the good work Apple:)

Now all I have to do is decide on Nokia7650 and SE P800 is 10.2.5 stable did you download or order CD from Apple

Got me a t68i yesterday (saturday), and it works just perfectly. No more Nokia bs and loss of bluetooth connection. GPRS works perfectly, iSync works perfectly and all those little shareware/freeware progs work perfectly:)

And that Sony Ericsson Clicker is just too good to be true. I teach in university, and to be able to control Powerpoint from my cell... It's very good piece of software:)

I'm very happy now:D :D

I'm going around in circles over this - ditched my T68i due to poor keyboard quality and other problems and now find my Nokia 6310 which I love has now stopped connecting since a 10.2.5 upgrade although I think it's a USB-B/Tooth problem. Wish Nokia and Apple would get their act together.

Back