Nokia 7650 vs Sony Ericsson P800 or 68i

skoggis, you said "GPRS works perfectly", - lucky you!!! I'm pleased your t68i is working for you! (I love mine too, except for the "non Nokia" menu, which is slow and, to my mind, not user-friendly!)

Anyway, I've been told (in Thailand) that I need to find an applescript to make it work here - did you have to do the same?

I'd love some help on this - I want to travel around Thailand, but I can't afford to be without e-mail, and many parts of the country won't let me connect via normal telephone lines (amazing, but true, before I get contradicted!) I need to keep all my mail on my PB for reference...

Any help much appreciated - thanks!

:p

Originally posted by applewhore
skoggis, you said "GPRS works perfectly", - lucky you!!! I'm pleased your t68i is working for you! (I love mine too, except for the "non Nokia" menu, which is slow and, to my mind, not user-friendly!)

Anyway, I've been told (in Thailand) that I need to find an applescript to make it work here - did you have to do the same?

I'd love some help on this - I want to travel around Thailand, but I can't afford to be without e-mail, and many parts of the country won't let me connect via normal telephone lines (amazing, but true, before I get contradicted!) I need to keep all my mail on my PB for reference...

Any help much appreciated - thanks!
:p

When you get to BKK (Thailand check out the Apple dealer in Pantip Centre (3rd floor) its a shopping center with several floors of computers and software

I have just bought a Nokia 7650 for USD360 less USD100 trade in for the SE 65 will let you know the outcome......

Originally posted by JohnG
I'm going around in circles over this - ditched my T68i due to poor keyboard quality and other problems and now find my Nokia 6310 which I love has now stopped connecting since a 10.2.5 upgrade although I think it's a USB-B/Tooth problem. Wish Nokia and Apple would get their act together.

Just bought 7650 now need to get 10.2.5 still on 10.2 and buy a USD bluetooth connector , are they generic or do we need a Mac specific one ??

Most of the bluetooth dongles can be used on either platform, but it is best to check. I went ahead and upgraded and got a Nokia 3650 and I love it. Paired it up effortlessly with my Mac (10.2.5 & Keyspan b'tooth dongle) and my Tungsten T/T pda. It's tri-band, mms, bluetooth (including voice so I got the new Nokia bluetooth headset as well), camera & video recorder and external memory card. And the reception is great. With trade-in, I paid US$226 for it (S$400 or about 9,700 baht).

They're basically the same, just different looks. The 7659 has the slider, while the 3650 has the rotary-dial looking keypad that does take some time getting used to for smsing.
Thr 3650 has voice bluetooth for headphones. Does the 7650 have voice tags? It's also tri-band with an external memory card. There is software that bumps the 7650 up near the 3650 for the camera and video recorder function.
Haven't travelled yet cuz of sars, but reception hasn't been a problem.
Yesterday, I used my pda to record me saying: "Rand, you have an sms" while iTunes was playing a .wav of the thx sound. I them bluetoothed them to the phone as my sms alert. I them did another saying: "nope, no mail" and bluetoothed to the Mac, which I then added as the new sound when Mail checks.

Also the 3650 has WAP vs 2.0, and yes 7650 has voice tags what do you mean about software bumps upto 3650 ?

PS Vietnam now has SE P800 USD850!!

US$850?! WTF?! You could purchase a plane ticket, fly to Bangers or KL or Sing and buy one for close to that price. Wow.

The 3650 has a tweak in its imaging specs, reportedly, that the 7650 doesn't. Kinda like a PowerBook coming with 10.2.3 and one with 10.2.5, but there are upgrades available and a good number of apps available for individualizing. Check out nokia's web site or some of the forums out there. Let me know if you need links and I'll post a few that I've begun looking for. So far, some forums, but nowhere as good as this one (or Brighthand for pdas).

http://www.the7650.com/7650home.htm

http://www.nokia3650.net/forum/

http://my-symbian.com/main/index.php

A lot of the forums are mixed since the 3650/7650 are similar. How do you like your phone? I love the 3650. It has more functionality than my old t68 (without the qc issues) and is an upgrade from my last phone, the 7250.
I'm using the bluetooth Nokia headset, the hd-w2, and think it's great. Battery lasts much better than I thought. I'm using a 32mb card and have tons of space. I just added trailers of Matrix:reloaded, Hulk and Charlie Angel's 2 and it's so cool to watch video on the phone. I'm going to try converting some home iMovies soon. Mp3s eat up space, but I like having the option. And I haven't have any sync problems with it and my Mac, and other than needing to use the infra-red modem for sms from my Tungsten T rather than straight infra-red, I haven't had any problems with it.

Thanks for the info still have not got 10.2.5 as yet maybe next week, have the USB bluetooth unit seems ok, how do you get sis files to your phone through iSync

So far very pls with 7650 thought about trading upto 3650 at another USD100 but ...hmmm 32mb card interesting though

I've got a t68 which has worked quite well with bluetooth - I just got a generic USB dongle off eBay and its fine. Sending SMS via address book is cool.

I was having a look at the user reviews for the t68i on cnet and there were a lot of people going mental about the reception but the common factor seemed to be US networks. Are mobile networks getting better in the US? I had heard before that they were taking a while for them all to move to digital and that not all of them use GSM but that other weird standard. Even then, doesn't GSM in the US use a non-standard frequency (1900?).

I've been quite happy with my t68 overall, I've had problems recently but they've been because of network upgrades in my area. I especially like the interface, I haven't used the newer Nokia GUIs (do they use Symbian?) but the Ericsson one was a big improvement over the 7110 I had.

Seems that the US sytems does have problems and best to always use tri band mobiles t68 has good reports but if you go to http://www.esato.com/web/ you can compare most current phones

All the newer models use Symbian OS with SE P800 using latest version VERY nice if you have the bucks ...

I haven't heard many good things from people who had the 800. Most are trading over to a different phone. It's more than most people need in a phone, but less than a pda. I think it's like the nokia communicator: It looks neat at first, but in usage, it's a bit a draw. Maybe the next gen.
I just added an entire episode of The Simpons to my phone! And the quality if very good for that screen resolution.
As far as bluetooth, once you've paired it up to your devices, it's just bluetooth file exchange (be sure to upgrade to 10.2.5 tho, it's worth it for bluetooth) and away you go.

As for the T68i, I had reception problems with mine in North America, Asia and Europe, though I never used the bluetooth on it.

Back