Non-Apple iDisk

guilly

Too handsome to use a PC
Hello again. Undoubtly I'm Mr. Doubt in person.

Jokes apart. I own a .Mac account and I find the iDisk to be one of the most useful tools in the .Mac services bundle (although it is veeery slow due to technical reasons I don't remember or I don't want to explain).

However, 100 MB is quite too little to become a real backup storage solution. Apple sells more space for incredibly high sums of $$$ money $$$. Does any one know about a non-Apple more affordable iDisk provider (if it does even exist). I heard about one once, but as long as I know they stopped giving service. I suspect Apple might be behind this suspicious service quitting, since probably they do not want to have any competitors to make .Mac exclusive. But maybe I'm wrong. Does anyone know about an affordable iDisk service provider?

Alternatively, if you have a computer in your house which you can use as a server, you could Roll-Your-Own. I wouldn't recommend it for a newbie though. This guy has been working on it for a few years (on-and-off) and still hasn't got a flawless system running.

Ô.o hehehe.

Actually I own more than 20 GBs in a Hotline account. Unfortunately, I'm often between restrictive firewalls and which my Hotline can't trespass. I like the iDisk not only because I can mount it as a "real" drive, but also because it seems to be proxy independent. Anyhow, I'll take a look at the storage providers you people mentioned and see how it works. Thnx

ElDiabloConCaca said:
iDisk is registered to Apple as a trademark, so, no, you'll not find anyone else that offers iDisk services.
Isn't iDisk just a WebDAV implementation?

Wouldn't any storage that is accessabel via WebDAV be equivelent regardless of it's brand name?

iDisk is just Apples WebDAV implementation, built on the standard protocol.
You can hack it so it connects to your own WebDAV sever running anywhere you like (and on any platform you like, but do consider metadata issues). There have been instruction on how to do this posted in the forums a while ago. A search should turn it up.

Back