Noob Question

PhillT

Registered
I just moved to a 2012 Mac Mini, and from Snow Leopard to El Capitan at the same time.

The Mac MIni I bought has supposedly got 2 X 1TB HHDs installed, but I am unsure if that is actually true.
The new Finder is unfamiliar to me, so I might be misunderstanding.
Both Disk Utility and Finder seem to be showing only 1 X 1TB HDD APPLE HDD with one partition, Macintosh HD (I think), however a system report seems to be showing 2 HDDs (I think).
This is not a Fusion drive setup is it, and if so, shouldn't I see 2TB of storage capacity?
Cheers.

Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 9.38.20 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 9.39.02 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 9.37.14 AM.jpg

The first drive listed ‘Apple HDD’ is the internal drive installed in your Mini. The 1 TB is the full amount of space available to work with.
The second listed drive ‘Macintosh HD’ is the name given after formatting. The formatting, in this case, uses .65 GB of space. The formatting does an internal sectioning for the entire system. The OS files in one section, your apps in another section, your files a third section, etc. The sectioning is what uses the space that appears to be missing, but is really in use.

Notice the arrow pointing down next to the Apple HDD. That indicates what is formatted in side the drive. You really have one internal drive. The arrow indicates a drive was formatted within it. If you had formatted the drive into two partitions, it would show a second drive under the Apple HDD.

When you format a brand new flash drive (thumb drive, or removable drive), it would show similarly. The brand name of the drive, then the name of the formatted drive within it.

Does this help you?

Just to clarify:
The first listed item under "Internal", is your drive, the "Apple HDD ST1000LM024"
It's your actual storage device.
It is formatted to allow you to use the drive, with a volume (named Macintosh HD)
That is the actual space that you use, and Macintosh HD is the name that you see when it is mounted on your mini.
It may appear that there are two drives, but actually shows one device, with the formatted volume appearing directly underneath - 999.35 GB total available space.

So, that's what you have inside your mini, approximately 1 TB of storage on a single hard drive.
There are also two other partitions on your drive, one for EFI (used for the booting process), and another for the Recovery system, used to run some maintenance tools, and a method to reinstall OS X, should you ever need to do that. Those two partitions are both quite small, and have little affect on the space available for your main software partition.

Thank you both.
It is as I suspected, I have been dudded by the ebay seller :-(
Now to sort that out with him or ebay.
Cheers.

If your price was reflected on 2 hard drives, then yes, you need to get it sorted out. Re-read the original post, if you can. Wording can be deceiving.

Back