Not 100% happy with iMac purchase now

mykelee

Registered
After waiting 3 weeks to take the big step n go iMac 17" and dump my PC I finally did it.

However I only found out that the next day the 20" iMac came out!!! I cant beleive that as I would of bought the bigger screen. I was very unhappy about this situation and the shop that sells the Apple stuff said they didnt know about this either and cant do anything about it. OK so lets say I beleive em, can the 17" be swapped by Apple or replace the LCD screen to a 20" in anyway?

Michael

If they're straight-up and you're willing to pay the difference, I would think the company would make the exchange. If not, contact Apple and see if they can do anything.

And no, the screen cannot be replaced. If you buy the 15", you're stuck at 15". Same for 17" and 20".

What store did you purchase it from? If a regular employee simply shrugs you off when inquiring about exchanging the 17" for a 20", don't stop until you've spoken with the manager of the store. Why a store wouldn't want to take something back and sell you something more expensive is beyond me. Just don't give up, be polite and persistent.

I've never gone this route, but I know a friend who has: he paid by credit card, and when the store was extremely unhelpful and rude when he inquired about a special-case exchange, he threatened to stop payment on the credit card and leave the equipment right there in the middle of the store and walk out. They became extremely helpful and forgiving after that.

It's ridiculous that these stores nowadays simply "screw" you into keeping whatever you purchased the day before. I understand that a computer cannot be sold "as new" after it's been opened, even if it hasn't been used, but hell -- the price difference between the 17" and the 20" should more than make up for the restocking and reselling fees.

It's a tad bit late to try to exchange them now, if the 20" iMac came out the day after you bought your 17", that was 8 weeks ago. Now if you tried the day after you bought it it would have worked.

Brian

I don't really see what the big deal is, it's not the store's fault that you didn't know Apple were bringing out the 20". When you said the next day, was it the day after you ordered it, or the day after you recieved the iMac? If it was the day after ordering then I would have thought you could have paid the difference and upgraded your order easily. If you already had the machine then to be honest, I don't see what the problem is, they don't have any obligation to do the swap, especially if you've already used the iMac.

That is true, monktus, and if mykelee was happy with the 17" when he purchased it, I don't see why he wouldn't still be happy with it. Sure, having a 20" would be bigger and more desireable, but if the 17" made him 100% happy with the machine when he bought it, I don't see why the release of a newer model would lower that percentage of happiness. It's not like they lowered the price of the 17" when they released the 20".

My personal experience with Apple was a positive one when a client wanted to upgrade her machine.

She had ordered a iMac DV. She received it, set it up and used it for two weeks. Of course after two weeks, the new 15" iMac came out and she was upset. She called Apple and kept "stepping up" who she was talking to until she was able to exchange her used iMac for the new 15". The best part of the story is that the iMac DV had upgrades that brought it up to the purchase price of the 15" iMac. They didn't pay for the shipping, but that's all she had to pay... Not bad... And remember, this is when the only way to get an Apple was through the mail.

(P.S. By "stepping up" I mean she kept asking to speak with a manager. Once she got a manager, if they didn't seem helpful she asked for the next manager up. She didn't have to go far, Apple doesn't hire losers for the most part.)

As ElDiablo said, polite patience will get you what you want...

Good luck, and be prepared to call Apple if need be, everyone knows what it's like to feel gyped (sp?) so you should have some good results.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
That is true, monktus, and if mykelee was happy with the 17" when he purchased it, I don't see why he wouldn't still be happy with it. Sure, having a 20" would be bigger and more desireable, but if the 17" made him 100% happy with the machine when he bought it, I don't see why the release of a newer model would lower that percentage of happiness. It's not like they lowered the price of the 17" when they released the 20".

I agree with ElDiablo. You were happy with the initial purchase. Be happy :D, you are an owner of one fine piece of Mac :)

EDIT: By the way, welcome to the Mac world. Feel all your anger, impatience you had with your old PeeCee will slowly wash away. Don't be alarmed, you may feel a blisful tingly feeling as you begin to enjoy your computing experience. Welcome to Macland.

These freak product updates from Apple always happen when you least expect and it sucks. When i bought my iMac Dec 1999 and they came out with a new one in Summer 2000 i was angry. I didn't bother to get a new one because there were numerous problems and even if i did there was the waiting. So I stuck with my original decision and I still own the iMac.
Sometimes it is better to see what happens instead of diving into the volcano to save the girl.

ApeintheShell said:
Sometimes it is better to see what happens instead of diving into the volcano to save the girl.

It depends on how hot the girl is!!! :D
I bought the iBook right before the offered the speed bumps, but I have not been unhappy. It is like that with any product you buy though. If you buy a P4 PeeCee, a week later they come out with a faster processor. You buy a graphics card (and I am talking about a sizzler of a card), then a month later the release one that makes yours look like a snail. That's just the way it is. It is all about the user experience. If you are happy that it works, and is what you wanted, then there is no use stewing over not having waited. Enjoy.

Back