Not enough power?

zoranb

Registered
I have a PowerBook 1.66 and im trying to connect an external hd using one usb plug, but it seems its not enough to power it and it needs two, is that right cause i remember that once i did make it work with one usb hub. Do i remember well or not?

I read somewhere that the USB port closest to you, or furthest away - you have a 50/50 chance - provided more power than the other. Your other option is to use a powered hub.

I purchased a powered USB Hub, then retuned it when I realised that it didn't run my Elgato EyeTV USB stick, printer and I even think I had issues with regards to running my ext HD. Not that powered Hubs don't work ... just didn't work for me.

but what im really asking is: is there any of the two usb ports that are on the powerbook powered so it can support an external HD using only one usb cable?;)

Your PBs USB ports are USB 2.0 which should power the drive but it's best to use a powered ext drive.

If the drive supports Firewire then use that instead of USB 2.0 ;)

Last edited:
Not all USB2 ports are powered enough to power an ext hd. For eg. i have 3 usb2 hubs on my dekstop pc and only one is powered!

Some external, USB-powered hard drives require a special, Y-shaped USB connector that connects to two USB ports simultaneously.

Search around on the internet for a USB cable that connects to two USB ports at the same time. Sometimes called a "split USB cable" or "dual USB cable" or "Dual Y-shaped USB adaptor."

Some external, USB-powered hard drives require a special, Y-shaped USB connector that connects to two USB ports simultaneously.

Search around on the internet for a USB cable that connects to two USB ports at the same time. Sometimes called a "split USB cable" or "dual USB cable" or "Dual Y-shaped USB adaptor."
my HD has two power outlets to USB so i wont be needing the split cable, my issue are the Power Books USB ports, that they dont have enough power to power it! Or at least i think they cant!

my HD has two power outlets to USB

I found the following with regards to the above:

Not all computers, including not all Macs, send the same amount of power to the USB ports. As a result, some bus powered USB drives will NOT function properly when using just one USB port on some computers. You either need to use a external power brick or use a second USB port by way of either a Y type USB cable or a second USB cable that goes from a power port on the drive to a USB port. Just about every bus powered USB drive I have ever encountered either came with a Y type USB cable or a second USB cable that goes from a power port on the USB drive to a second USB port on the computer. Does your drive has such a cable and if so, have you tried it?

Your HD's are not bus powered. The secondary USB port on the drives are for daisy chaining multiple drives together, not powering them (unless a drive is bus powered). What you need are power supplies to hook to your drives if you are going to use them with your powerbook.

A laptop normally does not provide to much power as it decreases UP time by a large percentage. Is the drive a laptop drive (2.5") or a regular (3.5" drive). The latter is certainly not ment to be powered from the computer itself, but from a external power supply.

Good luck, Kees

Well my drive is a laptop drive, and yes there is another cable that goes from power port 2 usb. So to make it work i must have both cables connected to usb ports. On the other hand on my dual G5, the drive works with only one usb port!

Well my drive is a laptop drive, and yes there is another cable that goes from power port 2 usb. So to make it work i must have both cables connected to usb ports. On the other hand on my dual G5, the drive works with only one usb port!

On a desktop system POWER is not (a big) issue as the power supply can be (relatively) huge.

Good luck, Kees

Back