Not showing hidden files in finder

gdif

Registered
Ok, I'm feeling pretty stupid today.

At some point on this particular machine I enabled finder to show hidden files. I can't remember where I set this at and I cannot find it again it seems.

Can anyone point me to where this setting is found? I'm stumped and feeling stupid.

--gdif

...the easiest way to do this is using tinker tool... :)
you can get it from versiontracker.com ...

Actually, it was AppleShowAllFiles in 10.0.x as well.

And err...setting it to ON wouldn't work. The type is supposed to be boolean (true/false/yes/no) - doing it that way would make it the string ON.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true

..or false if you want to turn it off, like the original poster seemed to want to do ;)

Heh, I did try it out first - it came out as the string ON. 'Course, if you just do defaults write some.domain somekey true, that'll also make it the string true instead of a boolean true. So I knew it would convert the string true to boolean true. I hadn't actually looked to see if it converted the string on to boolean on/true/yes/whatever-else-it-may-be :p

But ShowAllFiles instead of AppleShowAllFiles never worked for me on 10.0.x. I thought that tip was just false until I found one that said to do AppleShowAllFiles - that one worked.

Back