Nothing will install...

mattbyrd

Registered
I just updated my PowerPC G4 to Tiger 10.4.11, and now I am trying to install updated applications (Office 2008, Safari 3, Adobe 9) and none of them will install. When I double click the icons, the Installer icon bounces on the dock once or twice and then disappears.

Any ideas on what is wrong?

Thanks!

Hrmmmm . . . can you post what you "were"--was that just the last security update, or were you on 10.3 and just updated to 10.4?

Also, are you "in" your Administrator account?

Have you fixed your Permissions--a lot of people recommend that after a security update.

What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

--J.D.

The air-speed velocity of an unladen European swallow is 24 miles per hour :)

I was in 10.3, updated to 10.4 via DVD then did the online update to 10.4.11...I am in the Administrator account, and did verify and repair permissions because I searched for relevant threads here and that's all that was suggested.

Any other ideas? Thanks for your help!

. . . now I am to assume that you are updating PowerPC or Universal apps rather than those designed for the Intel chips?

I have seen a similar problem with bad RAM--but then I would also get frequent kernal panics which you are not describing.

Two things that may give more information: open your Activity Monitor and see what is happening when you try to run installations. The other involves getting a console log--a log of "what" happens. I, myself, do not know how to do that; one of the Gurus might tell you. That should help show what is happening to the installation program.

--J.D.

I checked the Activity Monitor while trying to install things...Installer doesn't even pop up. It is still, however, bouncing once on the dock and then going away.

Any other ideas?

How much empty space do you have? (ideally at least 15 % of any size of a HD)
Apart of repairing the permissions, did you try maintenance with OnyX or Yasu?

Open Console (Applications/Utilities), and try to launch an installer. What shows in Console?

Here's what it says in Console:
Nov 19 15:48:00 Audience-Development-Computer crashdump[450]: Installer crashed
Nov 19 15:48:00 Audience-Development-Computer crashdump[450]: crash report written to: /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Installer.crash.log

And here is what that reference CrashReporter log says:
Host Name: Audience-Development-Computer
Date/Time: 2008-11-19 15:47:59.964 -0600
OS Version: 10.4.11 (Build 8S165)
Report Version: 4

Command: Installer
Path: /Applications/Utilities/Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Installer
Parent: WindowServer [62]

Version: 2.1.9 (104)

PID: 449
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

Symbol not found: __ZN3KJS11Interpreter4markEv
Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/JavaScriptGlue.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptGlue
Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptCore

Well somehow you screwed the pouched or the hard drive is acting up.
So follow these steps:

1. Boot with an Install disk and once the OS X install disk starts it's run, stop and go to a menu item and find Disk Utility and Repair the Disk.

2. If number one doesn't work then download the 10.4.11 combo update again. This should fix the problem.

If either of these steps do not work, please report back and Good Luck.

Number 1 didn't work, and I can't do number two because it requires Installer, and Installer crashes with it too...

Back