Now what!?!?

senzo

Registered
I dragged some lyrics (as a clipping, that is) from MS Word to the desktop, opened them in TextEdit, copied to a new window and saved it in order to try printing the whole thing. Now, the first window (the one I never saved) is now called "Desktop" and opens that original text file. In other words, the directory "Desktop" in my home folder is suddenly associated with a text file ("Unix Executable File")and all what was on my desktop is gone! :(

what to do now?!?

Attachments

• a_desktop.pdf
    67 KB · Views: 18
I would try copying and pasting from MS Word into a new TextEdit doc. That should work just fine. I've never had any luck messing with text clippings.

tk4two1 said:
I would try copying and pasting from MS Word into a new TextEdit doc. That should work just fine. I've never had any luck messing with text clippings.

I think his problem is more that his Desktop is now an executable file rather than a folder, and not the fact that dragging text doesn't work perfectly.

Does repairing permissions or running a disk check from the installer CD help?

Seems that my desktop was mysteriously replaced by this stupid text file (it still opens as one) of song lyrics. I will hate that song forever!

I just didn't think one could actually replace one of these directories, now I know better than that...

Well, your files on the desktop are gone. Definitely. The directory's been overwritten. (Check with Terminal by doing a "cd ~/Desktop; ls -la"...) You can simply erase or rename the file called 'Desktop' and create a new Folder called 'Desktop' in its place.

Back