Odd permissions occurance with ./private

simbalala

Registered
This is what I’m getting from Disk Utility...

Repairing permissions for “mycomputer”
Determining correct file permissions.
Group differs on ./Private, should be 80, group is 0
Permissions differ on ./Private, should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x
Owner and group corrected on ./Private
Permissions corrected on ./Private
Group differs on ./private, should be 0, group is 80
Permissions differ on ./private, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxr-x
Owner and group corrected on ./private
Permissions corrected on ./private

Permissions repair complete
The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

Do you see what it does? It’s setting the ownership and permissions one way then immediately switching them back. This has not always been happening and I’m curious about it. It doesn’t seem to cause any problems.

OS 10.4.11

Somewhere in your /Library/Receipts folder, there is one package receipt that says "set permissions on /private THIS way" and another package that says "set permissions on /private THIS OTHER way."

OK, I get that.

But which way is correct? Can someone check their machine for me and let me know?

Then I'll hunt down the offender.

The question is: Which should be the correct group owner for ./private? Admin or wheel?

Once I know that I can figure out which receipt package is causing the problem. I've got a feeling it’s xampp which I installed but no longer use. I did it the right way and installed php5.

Anyone running 10.4.X should be able to check and tell me who the group owner should be.

Last edited:
And the group owner is?

admin is 0
wheel is 80

So some package I installed recently has changed that. I just put in the Install dvd and it shows ./private as belonging to me. :mad: But the permissions last set match the ones you just posted.

Owner on my system is wheel, but as I said, I'm using 10.5, not 10.4. Don't see that it would be that different from version to version, but it may.

Owner on my system is wheel, but as I said, I'm using 10.5, not 10.4. Don't see that it would be that different from version to version, but it may.

wheel it is:

private.png

That was the setting it reverted to on the second pass. The first was wrong.

I had to go way back, dragging things out of the receipts folder to a temporary one, then putting them back in groups and running permissions verify again and again.

I finally got the culprit (from August!, it was an update) - DeveloperTools.pkg. I put it in a folder named Receipts-Problematic within Library so it’s right next to the ordinary folder.

I was pretty sure it was supposed to be wheel.

Back