Office 2004: Standard vs. Educational

Morgan19

Registered
I've got an interesting dilemma. We have several Macs for which we purchased one copy of Office 2004 Standard, not realizing that it can't be run on more than one machine at a time. (Grr.) I was about to resign myself to ordering three more copies of Office 2004 Standard so each of us can use it, but then realized we'd qualify for the Educational version (we're under a University) but have some questions first. Office 2004 Educational is listed as being able to install on up to three computers. Does that mean one copy of Office Educational, installed on three separate computers on the same network, can run simultaneously as well, or do we still need to buy three more physical copies of Office? Also, are there any differences in the actual programs between Standard and Educational?

So confusing... o_O

m19

Office 2004 is called the Student and Teacher edition. Now I don't know the specifics, but unless you're really a student or teacher at an institution, I'm not sure whether you qualify for it.

But then, I do remember agreeing to non-commercial use somewhere in the license agreement, so you might not be able to use Office for you office (pun not intended).

Viro said:
Office 2004 is called the Student and Teacher edition. Now I don't know the specifics, but unless you're really a student or teacher at an institution, I'm not sure whether you qualify for it.

But then, I do remember agreeing to non-commercial use somewhere in the license agreement, so you might not be able to use Office for you office (pun not intended).

I appreciate the warning, but I made sure to double-check that we would qualify as soon as it occured to me.

Regardless, that still leaves my original question about getting one or three copies based on how many can run at once. :)

Thanks,
m19

I believe that the three copies Microsoft allows is simply that you can install the software on three computers, but not run them concurrently. It's so you can install it on your home computer, your laptop, and a computer at the University (for example), so you can have access to all the programs no matter where you are. It's still a single-user license, and so only one user can be using that copy at a time, but the program is still installed on other computers -- just not running.

If you want to use three copies simultaneously, you much purchase licenses for three people.

This is accurate as far as I know and in my experience (I, too, use Student & Teacher edition, since I'm a student @ an university) but a simple call to Microsoft should clear it up beyond any doubt.

A little tip from someone who got burned: If you ever have multiple different Office licenses installed on different machines around your (little "o") office, KEEP TRACK OF WHICH INSTALL-KEY WAS USED ON WHICH MACHINE.

If you ever need to wipe and reinstall (just) one machine, there's no way to display the install key after the fact.

So either keep each MS-Office box with it's corresponding machine, or put a post-it with the machine description in with the CD, or something...

Besides Educational, depending on your situation, you could go for a Campus license, which is valid as long as you are a student/work in education etc. I legally got Office 2004 for just € 13,- (~ $ 15,-) this way. Not all universities or institutions offer this kind of option though.

I purchased the Student - Teacher edition of Office 2004 for my 3 students and I have installed it on 2 of three computer and was provided with three different authorization "keys". All installed instances run concurrently.
Best Regards
Andy

That's correct. The Student and Teacher edition comes with 3 install keys.
The S and T edition cannot be upgraded. You must re-purchase the package if needing to upgrade to a newer version. An actual upgrade package is more expensive than the S and T edition, so the S and T seems to be a good deal because of the 3 user keys.

brianleahy said:
A little tip from someone who got burned: If you ever have multiple different Office licenses installed on different machines around your (little "o") office, KEEP TRACK OF WHICH INSTALL-KEY WAS USED ON WHICH MACHINE.

If you ever need to wipe and reinstall (just) one machine, there's no way to display the install key after the fact.

So either keep each MS-Office box with it's corresponding machine, or put a post-it with the machine description in with the CD, or something...
Or stick a file in the install directory calle serial_number.txt... and put the number in there.

I've been doing this for years as a low tech way of keeping the numbers close by...

;)

Back