Office 2008 installation problem

Mike Adams

Registered
We have an institutional license and colleagues have no problem installing Office 2008. When I try, I get an error message that says 'cannot install because there there is nothing to install'

Any ideas what is happening?

Thanks

Are you attempting to install from the original or a copied disk? Sounds like someone burned it wrong.

Either that, or do you have any "Test Drive" versions of Office on your machine? Was Office 2008 ever previously installed, then removed?

I doubt if it is a bad copy, it only affects installation on my machine: it works fine on others.

I have never had a Test Drive version on this machine

Then it could only be your optical drive gone south.

Are you SURE you are attempting to install correctly?

This is getting stranger: I installed it on my laptop with no problem. Then I used the laptop as disk using a Firewire connection. The installation seemed to be going well. up to the last couple of minutes. It crashed with an 'Installation Error' message. This problem is in a different place in the installation compared to installing directly on my desktop.

Any ideas about what might be happening?

Thanks

Is the hard disc you are installing on quite full? The Apple computers can do funny things if the disc gets over 85% full - give or take a bit.

I bought the Home & Student edition and installed it with no problem on a Quicksilver G4, an iBook G4 and a new MacBook. The first two were running 10.4.11 and the MacBook 10.5.2. This used up the three installs allowed.

Two weeks later the Quicksilver started playing up so i replaced it with the Mac Mini running 10.5.2, using the same security code and it's fine. I even had the Quicksilver and the Mac Mini running on the network together with the "same" MSO2008 at the same time for a couple of days before I retired the Quicksilver. So it shouldn't be a licencing conflict in your case either.

Since install I've installed the upgrade patch on all three and everything still works.

I wonder if you search for any old preference files that MS has left behind, you may find one that the new installer doesn't remove.

Back