"Office Type" software for OS X 10.1.5????

cbmeeks

Registered
I am using a loaner machine that has been upgraded to the maximum free version of 10.1.5.

Just about everything I see on the net requires 10.2 or later.

Any good word processors, spreadsheets, etc for us 10.1.5 users who can't afford an upgrade?

Thanks!

cb

AppleWorks 6 and MS Office v.X.

:rolleyes:

Of course both of those are more expensive than upgrading to 10.2 (which is generally under $60 these days).

Hey, thanks guys.

I just found a NEW OS X 10.2 on Amazon for $14.56!!! lol

It's DVD only but that is ok with me so I have 10.2 on the way.

That will hold me over until they iron some kinks out of 10.4 that I can buy later this year.

It just seems like 85% of everything out there is for 10.2 or greater.

Was there that much of a difference between the 10.2 and the 10.1??

Thanks!!

cb

The commercial OS X installer is only on CDs. A DVD installer is always for a specific model Mac. Hope it works for yours...
And yes, there is a big difference from 10.1 to 10.2
A lot of driver software became much easier to write, so more applications and drivers for a variety of devices won't work prior to 10.2
I've come across several printers recently which are supported in OS 9, then not again until 10.2.x
And now you see a lot of applications that require 10.2 or later.

cbmeeks said:
Was there that much of a difference between the 10.2 and the 10.1??
It was like night and day.

There is responsiveness of 10.2 compared to 10.0/10.1, specially on older hardware. The graphics were upgraded so that items on the screen no longer seem blurry, and the underlying system services were beefed up quite a bit.

I didn't start using Mac OS X as my primary operating system until 10.2 was released (Aug. 23, 2002), and I had been using Mac OS X since Developer Preview 4 (May 2000). On my primary system (my PowerBook) I was running Mac OS X Server 1.2 (Rhapsody 5.6) until 10.2 was able to replace it.

I still use 10.2 today. It is a wonderful, clean, dependable operating system. I haven't had a system crash since installing it on here all those years ago and rarely ever turn it off (I got up to 231 days before shutting it down to take it with me on a trip a couple months ago).

If you are using 10.1.5, then you really aren't getting the most from your Mac.

DeltaMac said:
The commercial OS X installer is only on CDs. A DVD installer is always for a specific model Mac. Hope it works for yours...
And yes, there is a big difference from 10.1 to 10.2
A lot of driver software became much easier to write, so more applications and drivers for a variety of devices won't work prior to 10.2
I've come across several printers recently which are supported in OS 9, then not again until 10.2.x
And now you see a lot of applications that require 10.2 or later.

Thanks, but I didn't think of that. Actually, I think I was wrong. Here is what my Amazon order says:

Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar [CD-ROM]

I *think* it's just a cd with the os and that's it. I don't need the classic 9 disc (have it for 10.1.5)

Hopefully it will work.

cb

Back