Office X Gm

you *are* talking about a M$ product...remember, this is the company that shipped windoze 2000 with 32000 known bugs.....

although in fairness, their mac shop seems to normally have slightly better standards.....

stop bashing what you don't know about!
office gm is perfect as far as i'm concerned, entourage works perfectly, from what i observed, the only things theyt might change is some icon designs and they might be all done. i don't know what version you are using or if you got tricked out by somebody... but i have not yet encountered any problems.

Hmm... The version of Office that you all have downloaded from Carrocho or hotline is not GM.

The only way to know for sure that you have a GM build is to buy it from a store, or be the poduct developer.

Just take a look at the about box on any of the Office products. I dont think MS would leave "Unpublished Work" in any product that was ready for shipping...

"But.. But it has the new icons!! It must be GM ---- But the image said it was GM.. It must be so!"

Come on!! Get a life.

I remember one time I downloaded a file that claimed to be Timbuktu, It looked fine.. Even had the installer dialog box.. But when my Trash can sudenly popped full and started to empty, I quickly crashed my system.. When I rebooted I found what was left of my Applications folder.. All Apps from A-C were gone.

Fine. I play with fire, and run things I download. I will get burned once in a while....

For those of you downloading Beta Apps Keep this in mind.

GM means the code is finished, but the aesthetics, or very tiny glitches still have to be ironed out. the GM will never be the same as the one you buy in the actual store. it may only be the final release to testers and programers, but they have to have something to sell, so the end product is packaged in house and sold, not released so anyone can have it.

GM - Gold Master.

As in the disk they use to duplicat for mas production.

The GM build will be IDENTICAL in all ways to the final shipping version.

Which is the image sent to the CD duplicator to be pressed and packaged for shipment. After all the talk about 5G64 and the GM, I'm surprised people are still unsure as to what GM means.

I have yet to see the Office v. X GM floating around. The latest build seen has been 1117. All builds have now expired and with the exception of Entourage, won't work now.

True.

Vic, your definition of GM is - sorry to say that - exactly what it is not...

AFAIK, no Office v. X GM exists at the moment as they are still finishing some graphics...at least that's what floats around the net...

ok, you are right, i canot base my assumptions on anything, but i just wanted to say tht the (beta) that i had was quite good.

the one I had was cool. Everything except Entourage stopped working some while back but it was cool. Entourage has one big bug on my system. Whenever I use the scrollbar in Entourage, I have to push both buttons of my Microsoft Trackballs at once before I can do anything else than scrolling...it's weird ;)

btw: I once heard that the name "Golden Master" comes from the fact that the DIE of early CD-Rs used to be completely golden on the topside (some cheap ones are still), so when a company finished it's product, it burned it onto such a "golden" disc and then gave it to the company which then copy this "Golden Master" on the final CDs...

All the apps seem to work fine except the calendar in entourage. If i remember correctly you did not have to enter a serial # in the other betas, in this version you do. the new icons are cool.

Originally posted by vic
GM means the code is finished, but the aesthetics, or very tiny glitches still have to be ironed out. the GM will never be the same as the one you buy in the actual store. it may only be the final release to testers and programers, but they have to have something to sell, so the end product is packaged in house and sold, not released so anyone can have it.

Sorry Vic, but that is not what GM means. Gold (or Golden) Master means that the disk is the FINAL/OFFICIAL version which will be taken to the CD Printing Press for Pressing (most companies -- yes, even Apple and Microsoft, do NOT do their own pressing -- in fact, even MacWorld Magazine had an article about it last month: one unlucky soul got Windows Office XP or something instead of Mac OS X 10.0 CD -- even the LABEL on the CD said OS X but when he tried to install it, it wouldn't work (of course) and turned out to be a WINDOZE products!! Neither company admitted fault (of course) but claimed that it "likely" occurred at the third-party CD Pressing plant which they BOTH use.

In any event, I am confident that Microsoft's Mac Business Group will release a fairly good product (but I do agree that (of course) some bugs will sneak their way in too -- such is life).

The newest version around Hotline is a beta build numbered 1218. It's running fine, although I never tried Entourage. It doesn't state anything about being beta? It says in info (in finder): 10.0.0 (build 1218), unpublished work.
Just wait until someone tells you it is the Golden Master. The builds around now are not.
But if Microsoft is going to release the thing in less than two months (they say november), it's going to be golden master soon enough.

Well, I've got the GM. I've had it for a few days now. Nowhere can I find a Serial that'll work.

Where are you guys finding yours?

Originally posted by fryke
The newest version around Hotline is a beta build numbered 1218. It's running fine, although I never tried Entourage. It doesn't state anything about being beta? It says in info (in finder): 10.0.0 (build 1218), unpublished work.
Just wait until someone tells you it is the Golden Master. The builds around now are not.
But if Microsoft is going to release the thing in less than two months (they say november), it's going to be golden master soon enough.

Take a look in the "About" box..."Unpublished Work"

Back