Official Letter from Steve Jobs about His Health

nixgeek

Mac of the SubGenius! :-)
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/01/05sjletter.html

This is a quote from the Slashdot entry about it:

Today Steve Jobs issued a letter with a rather personal update on why he was losing weight in 2008. The reason for losing weight in 2008 is a hormone imbalance that has been reducing proteins. The remedy for this nutritional problem is relatively simple and straightforward according to Jobs. Steve and his doctors predict that he will have normal weight again by Spring.

Good to know the reasons for his weight loss as well as why he's not at Macworld this year. Hope he gets better for his sake and his family's sake as well.

It's good to have some official statements on the matter, although I do tire of speculation about Steve Jobs' health at every opportunity. That said, Steve's explanation seems a bit different from what a New York Times journalist passed on some months ago. (But then again, perhaps that was the best guess at the time.)

I agree with the New York Times link from bloke (although I didn't read the entire thing).

I think it is more serious than a "hormonal imbalance". A "hormonal imbalance" is something women get once a month. If he has been losing weight steadily this entire year, wouldn't you think they would of found something as simple as a "treatable hormone imbalance" long ago, and got his weight back to a safe standard?

I love conspiracy theories and secretive happenings. In fact, I usually jump to that conclusion often. This time around, I'm thinking its smoke and mirrors. They may believe that Steve's failing health may lead to falling profits/sales, so they throw up a safe explanation.

I think there were several procedures of some kind that occurred during this past year, which may have THEN lead to loss proteins, causing him to lose weight. Whatever the procedures where, standard or serious, they kept it quiet, hoping he would bounce back quickly. It lead to unexpected circumstances, more questions, and finally an explanation. I DO believe he is better and will be recovering this year. Lets wish him well.

Here's to Steve! I hope he can enjoy watching the keynote tomorrow without too many hitches...

I agree with the New York Times link from bloke (although I didn't read the entire thing).

I think it is more serious than a "hormonal imbalance". A "hormonal imbalance" is something women get once a month. If he has been losing weight steadily this entire year, wouldn't you think they would of found something as simple as a "treatable hormone imbalance" long ago, and got his weight back to a safe standard?

I love conspiracy theories and secretive happenings. In fact, I usually jump to that conclusion often. This time around, I'm thinking its smoke and mirrors. They may believe that Steve's failing health may lead to falling profits/sales, so they throw up a safe explanation.

I think there were several procedures of some kind that occurred during this past year, which may have THEN lead to loss proteins, causing him to lose weight. Whatever the procedures where, standard or serious, they kept it quiet, hoping he would bounce back quickly. It lead to unexpected circumstances, more questions, and finally an explanation. I DO believe he is better and will be recovering this year. Lets wish him well.

The problem is and this is personal experience from seeing people around me, weight loss problems can come in many different ways with different organs going wrong. They might have discovered a hormonal imbalance a long time ago, but probably had to do more testing to pinpoint the problem.

Also it would probably kill their stocks if they released that Steve Jobs had a hormonal imbalance and not have a cure for it. Since they released in the letter that he was already undergoing treating which shows that he will most likely recover. Since a hormonal imbalance can lead to many different problems.

Here's to Steve! I hope he can enjoy watching the keynote tomorrow without too many hitches...

I would think he would enjoy spending a christmas with his family instead of working hard on the keynote for once. Although I hope it goes well, because the keynotes after steve jobs left just sucked.

Hyperthyroidism (a hormonal imbalance) causes weight loss. So can a few other treatable conditions.

Last edited:
Wow. Let's not get into symptoms-based speculation here, please. People will start to think they are dying of something just because of a cough. For me, it's enough that we know they have a plan for getting him better.

Nearly + $ 10 since Steve's health news release... which other CEO would have a similar effect on any company's stock? :)

Wow. Let's not get into symptoms-based speculation here, please. People will start to think they are dying of something just because of a cough. For me, it's enough that we know they have a plan for getting him better.
Fair point Fryke. A little too much information in my last post perhaps.

Speaking more generally, hormonal imbalances:

• need not be a cover story for something more sinister (conspiracists take note)
  • need be an euphemism for some trivial complaint (cynics take note)
  • are very common and can be managed well, which bodes well for Jobs (hyperchondriacs take note)
I wish him well.

Sometimes the conspiracist side of me takes over on stories like these. Not to long ago I found out about the whole Beatles "Paul is Dead" conspiracy... I was like a kid in a candy store with that one.

Back