localhost:~ robertheaney$ $sudo unmount/dev/disk0s2
-bash: unmount/dev/disk0s2: No such file or directory
localhost:~ robertheaney$ $sudo unmount /dev/disk0s2
-bash: unmount: command not found
localhost:~ robertheaney$ $sudo unmount -f /dev/disk0s2
-bash: unmount: command not found
localhost:~ robertheaney$

Any advice for what I should try next?

Tried again without the space and I get a 'permission denied' message. Help!

localhost:~ robertheaney$ $sudounmount /dev/disk0s2
-bash: /dev/disk0s2: Permission denied
localhost:~ robertheaney$

The command is umount. So...

sudo umount /dev/disk0s2

Also, what is Macintosh HD II is it an external hard disk? And when you are doing this you ARE booted from the DVD correct?

Thanks.

I can't boot from the DVD because the iBook does not have a DVD Player.

So, I'm contacted to the iBook from my MacBook Pro via a Firewire.
I switch on the iBook holding down 't'.

(When I switch on the iBook ordinarily I get the flashing blue folder/question mark icon).

The Macintosh HD II is what the iBook hard drive is called in Finder.

Should I still try unmounting via terminal when I'm connected like this?

Sincerely,
Robert.

In that case you'll have to make sure iTunes installs in 'Target Disk' mode (I believe) and that is the drive you want to unmount and do stuff to.

Target Disk Mode is definitely want you want to use.

On a similar Tip. I have a macbook pro A1229 santa clara model but the CD/DVD drive doesnt work. I also have a G5 PPC. My question is... Can I use my G5 to install Snow Leopard on the macbook pro via target mode ?

I think the answer is probably yes as long as your G5 desktop contains an Intel chip. If not, then it is out of luck. I am not sure how long it takes to finish the job between two intel computers.

This is kind of crazy to me. Please consider to replace the CD/DVD drive without a hassle or avoid to waste your time.

I think the answer is probably yes as long as your G5 desktop contains an Intel chip. If not, then it is out of luck. I am not sure how long it takes to finish the job between two intel computers.

This is kind of crazy to me. Please consider to replace the CD/DVD drive without a hassle or avoid to waste your time.

I've already installed Leopard via Target Disk Mode to MBP, this worked fine, although took a while, not crazy really when your short of cash to buy a replacement CD/DVD drive, you kinda work with what you got ;)

So I the answer is no as I have a PPC, I guess I'll have to wait....

Mine is PPC, too. I heard that there will be new iMac this fall. I didn't pay attention of what are the new features in it. I'm just tired of everything. I am not crazy if it is a 3-D computer or hologram. Oh well.

The day I update my signature to 10.6.4--having forgotten to do that--Apple releases 10.6.5.
brood.gif

For some reason, it does not seem to be available as a Combo-Update.

--J.D.

Last edited:
Well: Update your system AND your signature now! ;) ... There was a time when I simply put 10.4.x instead of 10.4.6 or 10.4.7 I believe. If rumours come true, we'll see 10.6.6 in very early 2011 (for the Mac App Store), so I wouldn't wait too long with updating your sig. ;)

Yah..I think the answer is yes as long as your desktop contains an Intel chip. I am not sure how long it takes to finish the job between two intel computers.

i have os x version 10.6 and i deleted system preferences now when i try to open it, it says corupt or damaged and just not opening, please i need help

Icedawg, you can either copy (using a USB drive or iChat or whatever works for you) a copy of the SAME update of Mac OS X 10.6.x System Preferences and place it in your /Applications folder.

Or if you can't find a copy easily that way, or if there were some added items that weren't present in your system, install Mac OS X combo update on your system. Pick the latest 10.6.x combo update; that should restore System Preferences.

Back