Official Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Thread & FAQ

If you have a .bashrc or .bash_profile in your home directory try moving them aside by naming them something else and see if that helps when you open a new terminal

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

I have OS 10.6.2 and 3 Lacie ext drives. Drives #1 is a d2 quad 1TB connFW800
and works well with SnLeo. Drive #2 is a d2 extreme 500GB connFW 400 and does not show up in DU but does show as unknown in SysProfiler. Drive #3 is small 250 GB conn via router for ip/printer storeage connUSB also does not show up in DU but does show as unknown in SysProfiler. Drive #2 is most IMPORTANT! I need to get this data off the drive(s) it has 2-250's in RAID. This is very important data. Can someone help? Is this caused by SnLeo?

Thanks
Ron

Yes they al worked, but now only the d2 1TB does. My goal is to retrieve the files. I am willing to loose the functionality of the other drives as long as I get my files.

Thanks
ron

If you just need the files, the quick (maybe not as quick as you like) fix to me without troubleshooting what minute difference in snow leopard could have kicked off the chain of events that has led to this dilemma, would be to either go back to leopard, put the info on a bu firewire disk. Then go back to snow leopard and reconfigure drives. Although we will all be dying to know why they didn't work.

I do not use the time machine, so I probably can not do that. I guess I need to take it in to get the files extracted.

Thanks
ron

Select a Destination shows my main disk iMacHD and Time Machine Backups both marked with the yellow triangle warning:

Security Update 2010-001 can't be installed on this disk. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update.

It would be useful if the message indicated what the requirements are!

Snow Leopard has been performing OK until yesterday when literally everything slows down with the "spinning wheel of procrastination" on almost any action at all.

I have done a complete maintenance with Onyx and restarted, with no effect.

Examples of slowness:

Copying a 42MB file to Applications took around 8 minutes; for a long time just a few KB was showing as copied, then a while later a few more KB, then a jump to a few 10s of MB, and so on.

Typing slows down. (has delay while wheel spins)

A simple click in a Finder window spins too.

Simply placing the cursor on some apps spins too.

I am now scanning slowly with ClamXav, but I don't expect to see a result.

Help!!!

This may not mean much, but I have noticed some daemons which I don't recall seeing previously:

rpc.lockd
rpc.quotad
rpc.statd

I have no idea why Remote Procedure Call infrastructure should be executing at all.

Might this indicate an intruder?

First thing I'd do is boot from the Mac OS X Install/Restore CD/DVD and verify that your boot drive isn't damaged (i.e., run Disk Utility's "Repair Disk" while booted from the CD/DVD).

Thanks for your suggestion. You may not be aware that Onyx can do this and much more. Indeed Disk Utility has been able to be used to repair permissions in a running system for some several versions of Mac OS X. In any case I booted from the install disk and, as expected, there were none to be repaired.

Curiously, at present, the symptoms have disappeared. I will report further should trouble occur again.

While Disk Utility _does_ repair permissions on a live system, you'll still need to reboot to actually see whether that solved the problem, because some permissions that might have been corrupted before the repairing will only become effectively "clean" after reboot.

Also, I am not referring to repairing permissions... I am referring to repairing the disk, as in a disk integrity check (the other set of check/repair buttons in Disk Utility).

To do that successfully and without spurious and inaccurate error messages, you must be booted from a medium other than the boot drive you wish to repair; as in booting from the install/restore CD/DVD.

Thank you for reminding me of the repair of permissions vs repair of disk. Both show all clear.

As I painfully type this with the pin-wheel spinning and long delays in echoing typing, here are a selection of symptoms, which occur more often than not.

Delay after clicking account at login
Pin-wheel (pw) before password cursor appears
Copying file takes an inordinate amount of time
Clicking in Finder window spins pw
Starting app results in long delay and pw
Scrolling results in long delay and pw
Browser pw symptoms occur in Safari, Firefox, and Chrome

Relevant system info:
Mac OS X Version 10.6.2
2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Intel ICH7-M-AHC1 / WDC WD2500JS-40TGB0

More information:
I start with first app being Terminal. It takes a long time to login.
Here are some results from the top command

xxx:~me$ top -s 10

Processes: 85 total, 2 running, 83 sleeping, 282 threads 08:59:54
Load Avg: 0.00, 0.05, 0.05 CPU usage: 2.18% user, 3.43% sys, 94.37% idle
SharedLibs: 8260K resident, 4900K data, 0B linkedit.
MemRegions: 7639 total, 186M resident, 21M private, 110M shared.
PhysMem: 195M wired, 335M active, 165M inactive, 695M used, 2376M free.
VM: 178G vsize, 1037M framework vsize, 39299(11) pageins, 0(0) pageouts.
Networks: packets: 3449/543K in, 3648/598K out. Disks: 15948/490M read, 5605/102M written.

The vsize at 178G seems inordinately large. Any comments?

The system became totally unresponsive - beachballs everywhere, even immediately on restart. I decided to try backing up, and used Carbon Copy Cloner, attempting to clone the whole hard drive to an external USB-connected drive. This eventually hung. On reboot I was able to see that at least my own account had been saved.

The solution seemed obvious -- wipe the HD and re-install. I booted from the Snow Leopard disk, and using Disk Utility, I first tried a repair disk. This showed the usual... S.M.A.R.T. staus OK, etc., but the repair never finished (given several hours). (NB, at this stage I was using a Bluetooth mouse). Next thing was to erase and format the drive. Coming back to the machine after several hours, I had a black screen. The mouse would not wake it. I repeated the last step with a USB mouse, and finally found two messages form DU -- erase failed, format failed -- or words to that effect.

I conclude from this that the HD has gone bad. (So much for S.M.A.R.T.!) Why did the system become unresponsive? Surely some part of Mac OS must detect catastrophic disk failure and at least display something informative. Is it feasible that if there are bad blocks inside the page/swap file, 64-bit addressing becomes confused?

I'm off to buy a new drive.

Look on the bright side: you backed up your data.

In my experience, ONCE I had--back in OS 9
exclamation.gif
a hard drive sort of slowly fail. It died died after I backed everything up and started trying to fix it. Otherwise, my HDs have simply died. Dead. Gone.

--J.D.

Back