Official MacWorld 2008 Thread

Am I the only person that likes the Time Capsule?

Would be nice if they made a kind of wireless home hub featuring the optical drive and hard drive for it, that's something I WOULD buy.

Use the 80gig harddrive for when you're away from home, once you get back it automatically reconnects to the hub, maybe even a remote feature so that you can connect to the hub via the internet and have remote access to the rest of your files.
A minimal Mac Mini setup could stand in as the hub.

19.99 USD for the iPod touch's firmware upgrade.
This is not actually true... You can update the firmware to 1.1.3 for free, it's just the optional features (the new apps and the customizable home screen) you pay extra for.

Those guys are most _definitely_ crazy. This is really p***ing me off right now. It basically means that I'll have to keep my touch jailbroken and can't use the official v1.1.3 update.
I know what you mean, but I have mixed feelings... I was very pleased to see the features became available, but a bit irked that they would not be free. After all, I felt, these features already exist and can extremely easily be put on the iPod Touch; why not give users these possibilities for free?

On the other hand, when buying an iPod Touch, we knew what to expect and we knew what features were present. Buying a product on the hopes that new features become available would be unwise. We also always knew Apple would try to differentiate between the iPhone and iPod Touch in a slightly exaggerated way. So, we "went into this with our eyes open."

The iPhone also involves a contract, once purchased, rather like a subscription. Under those circumstances, it is understandable that users would feel more entitled to free updates than those who bought a product in a one-off payment. Updates for the Mac OS, by comparison, usually only offer bug fixes and enhancements to existing software, rather than offering new features. Mind you, firmware update 1.1.2 (which was free) for the iPod Touch did provide quite an important feature: the ability to edit calendars (yes, the iPhone already had this, but it was an important addition for the iPod Touch for free).

I'd have liked to see Apple provide these new apps for free and keep users happy, but, in the cold light of day, I don't think Apple "owed" it to anyone. They aren't taking away features nor forcing you to pay. The price of $20 (£12.99) doesn't break the bank either. So, I genuinely sympathize with you, fryke, and partly agree, but I also think it's not too outrageous.

Back