Official MacWorld Keynote Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post it all cause I don't get it...QT refuses to get past "requested data" and I time out after a while...QT and Mpeg-4 are the same and I've tried 2 Macs till now...

it connects for me. schiller is showing off 'search' and 'spring loaded folders'

wow- there's a desktop slideshow now. that's pretty useless... neato, though ^_^.
already 1 million downloads for QT6.
he's showing the difference between uncompressed audio and mp4. there's virtually no difference.
now schiller is showing the difference between mpeg2 and mpeg4 at a third the data rate of mpeg 2. of course, no difference.
schiller is showing the instant streaming abilities of qt6, it scrubs and everything as if it were on the HD. no more pre-buffering.
now jobs is showing off watson...er, i mean sherlock 3.
ooooo, wow, movie theaters and tickets and trailers and stocks and it seems exactly like watson. poor karelia.
wow, the yellow pages thing is cool. he said "i want sushi near me" and all the sushi restaurants near him came up with maps and stuff. well, he didn't 'say' it, he typed it ^_^.
rendevouz demo-- he said he's going to 'build it into itunes later' (whatever that means). jobs can see other computer's itunes playlists and stream them automatically. no configuration needed.
"no one owns rendevous".
epson, HP and lexmark have adopted rendevous and are building it into their printers. (i thought he said it could discover any peripheral... oh well). now if you plug in a printer, it works no problem. you don't have to set it up at all. he opened up the print screen without connecting a printer (so 'print' was greyed out). then he connected a printer, and the 'print' button became active. he printed the document... yaaaaay.
mail- has 'adaptive latent symantic analysis'. it figures out junk mail by itself and puts it in the 'junk mail' folder. more sophisticated rules. it handles multiple mailboxes. you can imbed quicktime in mail messages. "spam is a drag" - steve jobs.
junk mail has a 'training mode'. it will turn the junk mail brown. then you can go through and tell it which ones are not actually junk. once you 'train' it, you turn 'auto mode' on. then it starts throwing your mail in a junk mail folder. it didn't work for steve jobs (whoops!) (the crowd claps anyway).
address book - has groups a la itunes playlist. you can go over the address and hit 'map'. you can go over his name and go to his itools shared, home page, email him, whatever. you can go to his phone number and use bluetooth to call him with your phone. he called phil schiller with his cell phone. they're talking to each other... um... yes.
bluetooth has auto-caller ID, too. when phil called him, his number and info popped up on the computer. wheeeee.
ichat -- rendevous finds all the people on the network and builds a buddy list. it's integrated with the address book database.
you can actually send people URLS with ichat! wowwwwww!
you can drag a file to their handle on the buddy list and the file will transfer (finally!!!)
jaguar is $129. available august 24th.
every mac you buy from now will get jaguar for $20.
uh oh, jobs is talking about how other companies are charging for itools type stuff.
jobs just said they called it .mac because it's everything .net was supposed to be. ouch.
idisk is no longer 20MB but 100MB and it's extremely fast. it looks like they're gonna charge for everything. wonderful.
they're adding back up software and anti-virus software.
it's now $100 a year for everything. it's $50 for itools members. it looks like no more free itools for us...
new application - iCal. maintains different calenders. runs off of the same idea as itunes and iphoto. it's pretty sweet looking.
you can 'publish' the calenders to the web (.mac). you can 'subscribe' to a calender, it will add calenders to your calender list and update the info to your calenders. you can send calenders over ichat. it's all integrated really really well.
great. now that he started talking about the digital hub, my stream quit on me.
okay, he's not talking about hardware. he's talking about 'smart playlist' now. "put my 25 most played songs on this playlist" "put all music i've rated 4 stars and put it in this playlist" "put all the most listened of my 80s music on this playlist"
ah, this is itunes 3. neat. you can say "put 1 gig of music i've never listened to on my ipod" and stuff. neato. rate songs, sort by rating, it keeps track of play count.
if you say "put all songs by bob dylan on this playlist" it will auto add any bob dylan song to a playlist when you rip/download it. spiffy. i wish this were around when AG was around.
you can download itunes 3 today. only for X.
he's talking about ipod now!!!
5 gig is 299
10 gig is 399. the ipod is now thinner. and there is a new scroll wheel... it doesn't move, it "feels like glass".
there's a door to protect the firewire. there's a remote you can connect your headphones, too. and now there's a case with a belt clip. all of that is with the 10 gig.
20 gig ipod now. comes with all that 10 gig stuff. $499.
new software on the ipod! browse by genre, composer (good for mixes or classical music), has playcounts (it updates them for itunes as well). and he keeps talking about audible.com. i have no idea what that is.
new 'browse' menu. browse by artist, songs, album, composer, genre.
also a new thing: "extras" -> contains 'contacts', 'calenders' (!!!! it's graphical!!!!!! holy cow that's cool!!! aaaah! i want this stuff now!), 'clock' (finally, sheesh), and now 'game' (no longer hidden).
the iPod works with windows (it uses musicmatch jukebox!). auto-synching. you have to have a special ipod, i think he said. available in late august.
iSync - new app. "it synchronizes your digital life." works with bluetooth cell phones and it will synchronize to them. he's adding the cell phone to the digital hub. it also synchs the stuff to your ipod and your palm.
CEOs of ericson and cingular are talking about how neat apple is.
isync will also support computers. you can sync machines via .mac.
oh yeah, one more thing... the imac.
the superdrive imac is now 1799 (again).
today the imac now has a 17" lcd landscape display. wheeeeeee!!! 1440x900 resolution! aaahahaha! i'm going to buy this! geforce 4 MX chip!!!! 80 GIG storage! superdrive! it's only 1999!!!! i'm going to buy it NOWWWW. they're available 2 weeks from now!
well, that concludes my report on macworld NY. i think my boss is probably mad at me for not working for the past two hours. i hope you had fun. i'll see you guys later ^_^.

Aargh -- same errors as voice- and xaqintosh. Guess I can't watch it live after all. Too bad TechTV wasn't allowed to broadcast...

I can see Steve Jobs showing Sherlock 3 now.. there's a smart movies function to see what the local cinema is playing near you - don't know if this will be UK centric though..

Sherlock 3 looks alot like Watson i mean alot like watson but i dont know who copied who but hey its all good its macworld

Is it just me or does the iTunes icon on Steve's desktop have a purple instead of blue? I guess that might be iTunes 3.

d8n_two

they were just showing how iTunes works so seemlessly with Rendouveus the new network app. when you come onto someones networkyou can share iTunes librarys its pretty cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back