Oh this is really bad!

ajoyce

Registered
I recently installed OS X.2 on a iMac DV and it all went pretty well until I booted the machine again and it all turned green. Everything! I tried to format the disk and reinnstall osx, but all the time it kept on being green. I then formatted the disk again and innstalled os9 and then everything turns orange. What the **** is going on?

..exactly the same happened to a friend of mine, with the same iMac as well.. Well we brought it to repairs yesterday, but here's what I can tell you:
If you restart another coupl of times, you'll get a blue version, and if you restart lots of times, eventually, you'll get a kind of green/yellow version, and that's the best you will ever get. With this setting, you can se everything and read everything, but still, it won't be good. I'm sorry to say this but this has nothing to do with some settings.. We've tried everything for the past 2 weeks, but (unless someone here has a solution) you're gonna have to go get it fixed. Probably the monitor. btw my friends mac was 2 years old.

Unfortunately iMacs with CRT screens have a tendency to have the display connector go bad (probably heat related). What you are see is the lack of certain color reaching the CRT because of a faulty connector. I work for a scool district and we have about 3 computers do this a year.

I know! I know! Oh god i hope you didnt get it repaired yet! My friend did, and they came to the conclusion it was the firmware that needed to be updated! Some computers need it before they upgrade to X, so do it now! It's free! My friend had to pay $100 because of all the checkings made by the store. Go update it and it will look brand new!

Yeah that happened to a few at my school too.

Maybe you'd consiter checking out www.xlr8yourmac.com for some instructions on opening the cover and reconnecting the leads...with extreme caution mind you! And that'll void the warranty too (asusming it's still under warranty). If you want to be safe, just take it in, or call Apple Support...

My display went nuts on me too. I have an Imac G4 17in. It was displaying what I would describe as a sepia colored negative effect. Tried to re-configure the monitor settings but nothing worked to bring back "Aqua". I was still able to see the dock and the icons so I decided to switch to OS9.2 to see if it affected that side of the operating system. Well it did not, I concluded then that this was a non-hardware related problem but had no idea what was the cause or where to go from here. I finally decided to do a clean install of Jaguar, after the installation was complete my monitor was back to normal. Now I have to spend time to re-install numerous programs.

Re-installing the OS is a drastic step and wouldn't like to repeat it again, has anyone had a similar experience? Is there another way to fix this?

guys...

My G4 present the same effects under X.2 and I found the answer in the Apple info. Look at this article http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107329.

"Your computer may display a negative image if someone or something presses many keys at the same time. This is a feature of Universal Access that allows you toggle the display between negative and positive image by pressing the Control-Option-Command-8 key combination."

SOLUTION:
" You can toggle the display between positive and negative by using the Control-Option-Command-8 key combination. First, press and hold the modifier keys (Control, Option, Command). While holding the modifier keys, press 8. "

Good Look people.

Back