OK, where is appleworks?

guapagirl

Registered
I don't seem to be able to find appleworks on my macbook. After spending time trying to import and generally playing around with it (photobooth is tooo distracting!), I have finally decided I have to do some real work, but I can't find appleworks!

I trashed a load of foreign language packages and printer things, I couldn't possibly have trashed appleworks as well could I?

Apple works is now defunt, it would seem. here is the list of software that comes on new macs:

• iLife '06 suite for creating photo projects, making movies, designing DVDs, building websites, and composing music
• Front Row
• Photo Booth
• iWork '06 30-day trial
• Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 30-day Test Drive

so I don't get a wordprocessing package thrown in for free? you are kidding right? Actually you aren't, I just looked on the apple tech spec for tiger.

You know, I was so excited to get this macbook, but it is turning into a flipping pain in hte proverbial. I don't want to make crap electronic music or stupid calenars with my rubbish photos which I'll stick on a web page I've made. I just want to be able to write my bloody essays and do some basic statistical analysis ont he train to and from college and now it seems I can't do any of this.

For the first time since owning a computer, I really wish I had a damn PC

ETA: Think I could burn a copy from my imac and import it to the macbook. Would that work?

You get TextEdit, an NeoOffice is a good, free office program for Mac.

PCs come with Notepad for word processing. TextEdit is much better than Notepad. You can also buy MS Office for Mac.

With Macs, you still need to buy software. Sorry.

You get TextEdit, an NeoOffice is a good, free office program for Mac.

PCs come with Notepad for word processing. TextEdit is much better than Notepad. You can also buy MS Office for Mac.

With Macs, you still need to buy software. Sorry.

I didn't need to buy appleworks with my imac. Seriously, I find it almost inconceivable that text edit is the only bit of wordprocessing software on macs now. Seems just plain stupid to me.

:(

NeoOffcie or Microsoft Office will be better word processing programs than AppleWorks, if that's what you need.

...and the alternative on a Windows-based computer is what... WordPad? You get pretty much the same set of software on a new Windows PC as well -- music making stuff, movie making stuff, and some fun toys. Microsoft Office is not included on Windows PCs, and if it is, you pay for it.

AppleWorks is outdated and no longer supported or included. Apple does give you a 30-day trial of Pages (park of iWork), which is more than Microsoft gives you.

While I "feel your pain" in trying to make the switch to the new Intel-based Macintosh computers, I would heed the advice of the other posters and check out NeoOffice and their other suggestions.

I hear Mellel is some peoples' favorite word processor as well:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13254

Besides, if you REALLY want a Windows laptop, you've already got one: the MacBooks run Microsoft Windows natively via BootCamp. You can install Microsoft Windows on your MacBook and it'll be just like using a Windows laptop -- no emulation, no virtualization, just plain old Microsoft Windows running on your MacBook. That way you can use MS Office 'till your heart's content and get all your word processing done.

I don't want a pc! And I already have Office for mac. I just hate using it. The whole reason my first and only computer has been a mac is because I found windows confusing and difficult to use. I take your point about pcs not coming with office or whatever. I have to use word docs sometimes because that's what everyone else uses, but with my own work I do it in appleworks and then save as a word doc.

I do like that I don't need to clutter my HD with office for mac so I can read .docs people send me.

Diablo my main 'pain' in having intel is that the software I need for college won't run on my MB. I have spent a months wages saving for this and then to find that I am gonna have to fork out again for a copy of windows xp (spit) just so I can run a computer programme on a pc simulator for six months is kind of galling.

I'm sorry. I'm ranting. Rest assured that I will not utter a squeek of my intel/mac misery to my pc using cohort at uni ;)

If MS Office is frustrating (it is), then NeoOffice is hardly going to help! i have trouble wrnagling that linux-y turd to do what i want to do at times. i hate it. i respect it, but i hate using it.

i would seriously reccomend you take a further look at text edit. it's free, and surprisingly powerful. it's not just Note Pad.

our own venerable Racer X has written really good articles on this. one of them is here:

http://www.shawcomputing.net/resources/apple/software/textedit/textedit.html

True, NeoOffice is a bit hard to use, and it's slow. iWork, however, has a different interface than Word, and can use .docs. It's more design than text centered, but that may be what you need.

It's more design than text centered, but that may be what you need.

Nah, I just write reams of boring stuff on social philosophy and research. Maybe I should check out text edit, though it looks like I'm gonna have to run windows xp via bootcamp to run spss anyway.

I can't wait till these stupid computer based modules are over and I can just go back to the simple life :D

If you're writing research papers, Mellel and Bookends are an amazing combo. They take some getting used to, but once you're used to it, it works very very well. Mellel doesn't choke on a 100+ page document with loads of graphs!

LOL! I do my best to avoid quant research. I'm a touchy-feely researcher by inclination, but if I ever do look like having to do any quant stuff I'll bear your suggestions in mind. :)

Nah, I just write reams of boring stuff on social philosophy and research. Maybe I should check out text edit, though it looks like I'm gonna have to run windows xp via bootcamp to run spss anyway.

I can't wait till these stupid computer based modules are over and I can just go back to the simple life :D

SPSS is available for Mac, too.
Sadly, you have to pay big dough for the 10% of SPSS that Excel won't do.

Otherwise, I use OpenOffice.org on my (company owned ;) )machine. Partly because I already like running X11 apps, and partly because it's faster than the java incarnation of OpenOffice.org known as NeoOffice.
Don't get me wrong, NeoOffice is a fine product, particularly if you like the OS X interface (or hate the X11 interface)

I have Microsoft Office on my machine, because my workplace provided it on the machine, but I prefer not to launch, or in any other way show support for, that fetid and bloated goat.

Oh, and my favorite text editor is nedit (another X11 app). I never have to worry, nor consider it might add whacky characters to my otherwise pristine ascii text files.

More info than you wanted, I'm sure. :)

SPSS is available for Mac, too.
Sadly, you have to pay big dough for the 10% of SPSS that Excel won't do.

More info than you wanted, I'm sure. :)

it is available for mac BUT you can't use it on intel macs. apparantly one's coming out in 2007.

In the meantime I'm going to use a (probably pirated - I'm not paying for a hideous old goat either!) copy of xp and run it via bootcamp and then use the windows version of spss.

a gal can never have too much info :)

Back