Old Mac

Easter

Cypherpunk
I have Performa 6200, LC 630, LC 475.
What may I do with them? (other than trash)
I thinked about installing Linux ...
... anyone have a good 68040 to send to me? (Performa 475 have buggy 68LC040).

Bye_

Easter, I've been wondering the same thing. I've got an old 6400 and 6500. I actually tried to put linux on one of them last year, but I couldn't find drivers for the ethernet card I had, so I gave up.

Also, if they were going to be put to good use, you'd probably want to get a larger hard drive.

You could create an MP3 Server, although I've found that using one of your macs on your existing network works just as well.

The only thing I can think of is linux, but what are you going to do with that?

Right now mine are sitting in a closet. I'm thinking I'll use them for something eventually.

Any ideas? I'm all ears or eyes that is.

I've got an old 6400 and 6500.

Isn't the 6400 a minitower? Man, I so wanted to get one when they were released... but I was a poor, unemployed teen. :( Beautiful machine it was.

The 6400 and 6500 are identical machines except for what's inside. The 6500 has a slightly better processor and maybe a few other things as well.

Both towers are about the same height as my G4. They have a floppy and cd-drive. The 6500 also has a zip in the top drive bay, while the 6400's is empty.

Hi dixonbm,

what ethernet card do you have on your Old Macs?

I prefer non to use old System 6 or 7 ... my idea is to make an heterogeneous cluster of computer (PC, Mac, SGI, Sun, ...) so hard disk space isn't a very hard problem.

I found a Linux distribution that claim to work on 68040 based machine ... tomorrow I'll post the URL. ;)

Thanks a lot_

I'm not sure. I'd have to dig them out to be sure. They were third party cards, not built in. I actually had OS 9.0.4 running on it the last time I had them out.

Did you ever decide what you were giong to do with your old machines?

What has everyone else done with their old machines. Ideas are greatly appreciated.

You could create an MP3 Server, although I've found that using one of your macs on your existing network works just as well.

What do you need to create an mp3 server? I have a clamshell graphite iBook that I would love to do that do, but it doesn't have FireWire. :( My latest Mac is a new iBook and I have AirPort on both of them. Could I swop files via broadband on the AirPort? Thanks for any suggestions. :)

Randman,

When you say you don't have firewire, what does that have to do with it? Do you mean that transfering all your MP3s to that ibook will be slow? If so, I recommend directly connecting them to each other via a hub with ethernet cable. Transfer will be much faster than over airport. However if you can't get access to a hub transferring over airport will work just fine.

Ok back to the point...MP3 server.

Are you wanting to share your *cough* files over the internet with your other computers and friends' computers or just share them on your own LAN?

I'll let you know how to when you clarify what you want to do.

I'd like to use the graphite as my mp3 player basically and store the mp3s on that drive. But I have to use my new iBook to connect with the iPod.

Are you wanting to share your *cough* files over the internet with your other computers and friends' computers or just share them on your own LAN?

While in principal, I don't have a problem with someone "lending" their songs out, I was just thinking of a way to get some usage out of the graphite and ease up some room on my current iBook since I'm pushing 6 gig of songs right now. Cheers

Have you thought about using the graphite ibook in Target disk mode as an external hard drive? Or for that matter buying an external hard drive? Or have readable copies of your mp3s on your iPod, using it as an external hard drive? You could then have your iTunes look to the external hard drive for your mp3 files?

How does that sound? It sounds like you don't want to keep the mp3s on your laptop because of space reasons.

Another option:

Do you have a stereo or speakers plugged into one of your ibooks to use as your sound system? If so, you could put all of your mp3s on one ibook and run iTunes on it. Then you could control iTunes (on the graphite ibook) from your newer ibook via a control app like Earphoria or iHam on iRye.

Which of those options do you like/prefer? If neither are exactly what you want i have a few more ideas.

just a friendly reminder dixonbm and others, that help centered around the illegal distribution of music and other copyrighted material is not allowed on the site. :)

Easter - i'm all ears as well about what to do with the lc 475. mine's in the garage doing nothing but keeping the dust off the floor.

which is a good idea if it can be done without much investment. too bad my lc 475 wouldn't even hold half my songs if i did add ethernet. :p

using the graphite ibook in Target disk mode as an external hard drive?

That's along the lines I was thinking of. How do you set a Target disk mode or external? The stereo idea is good, I'll do a check on those apps you menntioned, thanks for all the help. If you have any other ideas, please post.

Basically, I was just wondering of a way to to still use the graphite and free up some memory without spending a whole lot. If I were to do that, I might as well buy an external drive and hook everything up in a local network. I've already configured the 2 so I can transfer files via airport, but thought it would take too long with so many mp3s as to be viable.

And EdX, sorry if it seemed if I meant to do anything with swopping. The only free distribution of music I deal with these days is when my girlfriend borrows my iPod to take to the gym. :D

Ed,

If you haven't already checked into controlling itunes on another computer that is hooked up to a stereo, it's quite easy. Check out iHam on iRye (carbon app) and Earphoria (cocoa app) on versiontracker. Both free and great programs for controlling iTunes on another machine.

I use them while i'm in bed or on the coach with my powerbook so I can still control my itunes on my desktop that doubles as my stereo.

I also use iCommune so my wife can access our music on my desktop. Before iCommune it was a pain keeping track of our music when we wanted to listen to a song. I really hope Apple builds a rendevous feature into the upcoming iTunes update.

Check out this doc on Apple's Support Page about Target Disk Mode. It will explain it best. If you have an more questions about it let me know. From what it sounds like you want to save money and save space on your new ibook. I think the target disk mode is best unless you have a stereo that you'd like to hook your other ibook up to and control it via the software. Both developers of the software are great with Tech support if you have any problems setting up the software. Just email them.

Edit: Sorry, forgot the link.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583

The graphite doesn't have a firewire plug so that limits its usage in this instance, otherwise I'd use it for iPoding and iTuning.
I think I'll look further into the ethernet cable and/or the stereo setup you mentioned. Cheers again for pointing me in this direction.

I'm sorry but I had a lot of work to do last week ...

Originally posted by edX

Easter - i'm all ears as well about what to do with the lc 475. mine's in the garage doing nothing but keeping the dust off the floor.

The LC475 is a big hard problem ... because the CPU (68LC040) is bugged and installing linux could be difficoult.
Still use System 7.5 is no way!!!, so until I'll find a good 68040 the LC 475 will gain dust ... (I'm sorry for that because it have the ethernet adapter so I could connect it to the lan than the HD space isn't a problem).

My idea to use these old Mac is to build a cluster so I could have more processor power (I have olso 5 old PC Pentium MMX) using ethereogenous architecture and processors (I'm looking for SGI, Sun, Alpha etc... if someone have old hardware to donate me I will accept them).

The 6200 is a good possibility even it is an hybrid machine (it has a layer to adapt PPC processor to the 680x0 hardware) and have Video-in, Tuner, CD-Rom drive.
I think that to install OS X isn't posisble but installing Linux is possible but not very easy.

The other LC 630 could be easier (I have to check the processor 68LC040 against the FPU bug that prevent me to install Linux on the LC 475).

About using a machine with low disk space as MP3 player the only solution is to use the LAN card (or airport or whatever connection available) to mount remote Hard Disk (via NFS or SaMBa for example).

bye,
see you later_

Back