Old Osx Operating System On Partition?

MissKay

Registered
Hi

I am using Architect´s CAD software (Graphisoft ArchiCAD) on an I-Mac that runs on Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Now I would like to buy a new computer (again I-Mac, only new), but this means that I would also have to buy a new ArchiCAD software, as the one I have doesn’t work with a newer operating system. Actually, the newest operating system it can do is the 10.6.8.

I cannot buy a new software and the computer, I can only afford the computer. So I need something like a second old operating system together with the new operating system on a new computer.

The genius guys in Apple store didn’t have an answer to that. They said there is software that sort of works like Virtual PC but they didn’t know if it will actually work. They also said that CAD software is hungry for memory (true, which is why I would like the new computer) and that the partition would have to be huge (like almost the entire computer) and this might be also a problem. I can’t believe it can’t be done!!

Any ideas anyone? Thanks!

So you want to buy a new Mac to run your old software that is incompatible with the new computer that you want to buy? You may be going at this from the wrong direction. You should considered buying a refurbished Mac Pro that is compatible with OS X 10.6.8.

However, I am not certain that this is a real constraint. Unless your installation of ArchiCAD uses PPC binaries, then it should run on any Intel-based Mac running any Intel-compatible version of OS X. If this is the case, then you should upgrade the OS on your iMac. If your iMac is too limited to run OS X 10.7 or later comfortably, then a refurbed Mac Pro is a good way to go. Again, if it can run OS X 10.6.8, then it can run any subsequent version. The 2009 and older versions have been obsoleted and may not run OS X 10.12 or later.

Another way if you have a retail disk OS 10.6.8 you could use a virtual setup on a new Mac and load it up in a VM.

Back