Older Express w/ New Extreme

BikerRob

Registered
Okay, for the first time in my "Mac Experience" I'm about to blow a gasket. This has been the most frustrating couple of hours I have experienced since switching over from Windoze.

Here's my setup.

I have an Airport Extreme that I've been using for a few months now with no issues.
A few days ago, I bought a used Express of ebay to use with my existing setup. All I want the express for is to set up some speakers and play itunes from three computers (an iMac, Macbook, and MBP).

When I open up Airport Utility, both the Express & Extreme are showing. I can manually set up both. If I go on my MacBook and connect to the Express, I am able to play itunes through it.

Here's the problem: I can't connect to my Extreme (with shared printers & hard drives) from the MB at the same time I'm connected to the Express to play itunes. It's one or the other.

So, I read up about WDS ... tried to connect that way. Everything seemed to set up fine according the AU. However, I still have to choose from my wireless connections. Either connect to the Extreme or the Express. With the same problem mentioned above.

If I try the "automatic" option for setting up the Express ... I do the following:
1. I choose "I have a wireless network and want to add to it ...
2. I choose "I want Express to wirelessly join my current network"
3. Here's where a problem happens.
If I next choose "Join my wireless Network" so that the Express is used only for playing iTunes, it goes through the process of setting it up, says the express is restarting, and then does nothing. It doesn't show anywhere, and I am unable see it in iTunes. Nothing.
If I choose "Extend the range of my Extreme ..." It works, restarts, but again, I have the problem mentioned at the very beginning. I can either play itunes, or connect to the extreme, but not both.

SO ... VERY FRUSTRATED ... I am sure it's something very obvious that I'm missing, but I am at a total loss here.

SO HELP :)

TIA

Is your Airport Extreme set up for 5 GHz or 2? The older Airport Express only does b/g wireless. The recent Airport Extreme can have a setting for Radio Mode: 802.11 N (b/g Compatible).

Back