Omg Help!

smithy

designer.
Omg man the worst thing just happened to me about 15 mins ago..... I was in safari and then all the sudden the keychain thing said something and had no other option besides to close the window or to restore back to defualt. And so i closed it and it was all working alright after that and then i logged out and ive lost all my stuff!!! luckly i did a backup to my ipod otherwise i would be crying right now... so like basically everything of mine is like gone totally weird the dock has gone to defualt the pictures folder isnt opening and ive lost that but the icons in candybar are allt he same and like ive lost omgogm my ITUNES MUSIC LIBARY !!!!!! and i had all my songs sorted into awesome playlists!!!! argh man why me lol.... oh wait i found all my pictures and stuff ok thats good, but like why did this happen ?? I know its something todo with keychain because key chain like is the thingy that keeps all of your settings and passwords right ??? well this is just soo great dont you rekon ????? argh !!! :confused:

just forgot - i opened up my home directory and clicked on the desktop folder and its got stuff in there but its not on the desktop... i think its just a folder called desktop but it isnt it ??? and also my home icon isnt there either (i have changed all the icons on here with candybar though)... argh this is soo ANOYING!! lol

and forgot again lol - i remember before this happened i changed the name of my home thingy to something else because i didnt want my last name in it now there is like 3 home thingies with brendan brendansmith and my sisters one which is working fine. In the brendan one everything is fine but its the brendansmith one thats stuffed up .... maybe i should just reinstall osx and start clean again .............. oh and also is there like a system restore to a date and time thingy like in xp ??

This has nothing to do with keychain. You can't (read: should definitely not) rename your home folder. OS X doesn't know where to find your home now, because everything else in OS X is telling it to use the original name of the folder. So, it creates a new home folder for you with the default name -- that's why you have two: one old name, one new name -- and with all the default settings. Since there isn't an OS X user associated with the new name of the home folder, your stuff is "stuck" in there, but OS X is using the newly-created, old name folder as your home.

Search on http://info.apple.com and see if you can find a help document on your situation.

This is the proper way to do what you were trying to do:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106824

Okay well thanks for replying! Well i think i might just go with the new home directory, ive copied most of my old files over to it and ive got back my itunes libary so yeah its all good. But if i copy my entire libary over to the new home directory will it stuff up ??? thanks again !!

Yes, it'll work just fine. Be sure, after copying everything back over, that you run a "Repair Permissions" on the boot drive from within Disk Utility. That should clear up any leftover permission errors.

And, as sonjay said, don't do that again. I agree that it's silly that OS X even lets you do that given the destructive payload an action like that carries, but OS X is plenty customizable without mucking around with the names and locations of files and folders that OS X makes. Leave applications in the applications folder, install in the default locations, and don't change the names of folders and files you didn't create. Keep "haxies" to a minimum. Those guidelines should keep your OS X machine running day and night without problem.

Oh, and keep backing up to that iPod... ;)

Ok thanks soo much aye, trust me i wont do it again ! but one last thing when i move everything over and stuff can i then get rid of the old home directory but not the current one ??? i might keep it i dunno yet. The only haxie i have going at the moment is just clear dock (the ape one) and just candybar (which i dont think its a haxie???) well yeah otherwise everything is running good, and just to make sure i was meaning the libary in the home directory..

Move everything back from the folder YOU created (the one you renamed) to the original folder that shares the name with your user's short name in OS X.

Then you should be good to go.

Did that once myself...ended up having to reinstall my OS!
I had tryed to fix it with everything and anything (tips that others gave me) but had to give up after some days because it had really messed up a lot of things for me.
Realised that it would be better to reinstall than go on, even if it meant some work/time spent on it.

I would definately recommend backing up what you can/need onto a cd and then start from scratch with a reinstallment.

G

Apple should definitely find a way to remind users not to rename their home folders, library folders etc... This could be built into the Finder.

You weren't actually allowed to change the name of the home folder until Panther -- I've got a Jag box here that won't let me change the name of my home folder.

I wonder why Apple did that...

Well actually i did end up reintalling osx, and basically it didnt take long at all to get everything transfered back over - i think the thing that took the longest was changing the system icons :p - Also i really think that apple probly should warn users about changing the home directory name, but i know not to do it again.

Back