omitting spaces and letters when typing

katesisco

Registered
Its not a keyboard problem, have installed new wireless keyboard. It has never been right from the day I bought it used from Walmart.
I updated from Sierra to High Sierra and it just overlaid so when I sign on there are two identifiable programs enabled. Neither of which function correctly. Basically I can't use it for any input as typing produces and endless string of letters.
It has gotten progressively worse over time since I asked the ms people for help. It now drops letters u and n. It never would recognize the magic mouse and for years I used wired, and just discovered that by adding a BT dongle it would pick up the magic mouse and the wireless keyboard. Such a simple fix never recommended.
Im typing this on the HP also bought used with a old Logitech wireless keyboard as it didn't recognize its own wired keyboard.
katesisco@yahoo.com

Last edited:
You'll need to explain just a bit of what you wrote...
What did you buy at Walmart? A keyboard? or a Mac? What model of Mac do you have?
What are the two "identifiable programs enabled" and how did you choose those two in particular?
If the keyboard is producing an endless string of letters, then you either have a sticking key, or something is sitting on the keyboard. Make sure that nothing else (like papers or books) is close to the keyboard.
Who are the "ms people"? Do you mean Microsoft? It is unlikely that you can get Microsoft to help you with your Mac.

You can easily find out if you have a problem with the keys on your keyboard by turning on the Keyboard Viewer.
Open your System Preferences (from the Apple menu, among others), then open the Keyboard pane.
Click on the Input Sources tab. You should see a checkbox for something like Show Keyboard Viewer, or maybe Show Input Menu in menu bar.
Check that box, then open the new icon near the top right corner, near the clock.
There should be a menu that gives you a choice for Show Keyboard Viewer. Click that, and you will see an on-screen keyboard that will show a response every time you press (and release) each key. It will ALSO show keys that are stuck, or slow to respond, or just don't work (you press that key, and nothing shows up on the on-screen keyboard.
You can use that to test ALL the keys on your keyboard.

You'll need to explain just a bit of what you wrote...
What did you buy at Walmart? A keyboard? or a Mac? What model of Mac do you have?
What are the two "identifiable programs enabled" and how did you choose those two in particular?
If the keyboard is producing an endless string of letters, then you either have a sticking key, or something is sitting on the keyboard. Make sure that nothing else (like papers or books) is close to the keyboard.
Who are the "ms people"? Do you mean Microsoft? It is unlikely that you can get Microsoft to help you with your Mac.

You can easily find out if you have a problem with the keys on your keyboard by turning on the Keyboard Viewer.
Open your System Preferences (from the Apple menu, among others), then open the Keyboard pane.
Click on the Input Sources tab. You should see a checkbox for something like Show Keyboard Viewer, or maybe Show Input Menu in menu bar.
Check that box, then open the new icon near the top right corner, near the clock.
There should be a menu that gives you a choice for Show Keyboard Viewer. Click that, and you will see an on-screen keyboard that will show a response every time you press (and release) each key. It will ALSO show keys that are stuck, or slow to respond, or just don't work (you press that key, and nothing shows up on the on-screen keyboard.
You can use that to test ALL the keys on your keyboard.

The above was prepared before hand to deliver to the CHAT personnel so apologize for the rant.
I did just talk to a rep and was told 1) to return it to WalMart. and 2) its too old to fix.
For some reason, probably advertising, I though the system was actually upgraded but see it is only an overlayment that fails to integrate hence the big push for AI that can actually be upgaded. Again, very disappointed in Apple.

hmm... I've not heard of Walmart selling "open-box" returns that are that old, but Walmart is Walmart, I suppose.
Yeah, Apple won't help you with a system that is either obsolete or what Apple calls "vintage".
But, Walmart usually has a pretty good return/refund policy. Maybe you will be able to get your money back on that.

My guess on your present Mac, if it is a laptop or MacBook Pro, that the USB bus is faulty. The internal keyboard connects through the USB bus, but uses a different connection from an external. Same USB bus, however. Fixing that would mean replacing the logic board - too expensive to fix on and 8-year-old Mac.

hmm... I've not heard of Walmart selling "open-box" returns that are that old, but Walmart is Walmart, I suppose.
Yeah, Apple won't help you with a system that is either obsolete or what Apple calls "vintage".
But, Walmart usually has a pretty good return/refund policy. Maybe you will be able to get your money back on that.

My guess on your present Mac, if it is a laptop or MacBook Pro, that the USB bus is faulty. The internal keyboard connects through the USB bus, but uses a different connection from an external. Same USB bus, however. Fixing that would mean replacing the logic board - too expensive to fix on and 8-year-old Mac.

Its actually mid 2011 but nevertheless she said it was too old to update. Paid $500 for it last year. Used BUT
reconditioned. Mac all in one as the serial number would indicate.

Ah, then it's an iMac!
You posted a serial number in post # 4, but it is not a valid serial number for anything from Apple, with only 11 characters.
Can you get the serial number from the label on the bottom of the stand?
Should be 12 characters, so the number that you posted is missing one character.

But, I know that you are upset about your purchase. Nobody wants to buy somebody else's problems.
Unfortunately, a "reconditioned" computer that somebody repaired is not always up to the standards that Apple would provide in a refurbished Mac.
There must have been a warranty with that, but probably only 90 days.
It's shameful that Walmart would sell a faulty computer, then not offer any support for that.
If you want to try to fix that, best choice is a third-party, Apple-authorized service provider. That would depend on where you live, if you want to try to find one. A reasonable place to start would be any Best Buy.

Back