On the Fun Side: MAC in action (product placement)

jaguar

Registered
Hello All :)

Just wanted to share. I went to a Human League (yes Human League with the original 3 members) concert this weekend and guess what system was front and center powering some of their special effects .. an Apple PowerBook. :)
Boy do I love seeing those glowing Apples :)

And while I'm talking about product placement, is anyone else as nutty as I am about picking computer product placements in tv shows, movies, ads, etc..????? I've come to realize I'm pretty obessed about it and I find it especially funny when people try to cover up the Apple logo with a sticker or a piece of paper. *chuckle*

Oh.. and that reminds me of one other thing.. the 2004 Ikea catalogue is out and it looks like MAC lost their ad deal with them or however that works. That catalogue used to be full of MACs whenever they showed a computer, now its full of HPs. :( It made me sooo sad. *pout*

-jag :D

Simply put, Macs are pretty looking so they get a lot of air time or even in films because movie/commercial directors want style in their shots, not boring square boxes. Like how they only pick good looking people to be on tv.

I've seen Macs in a lot of things on TV, most recently a Powerbook in a Wendy's commercial. They also form the computer power on the show 24, which is tres cool.

It really bugs me to see a Mac on a desk, or something, and they have a Windows desktop on it. Come on, folks, it doesn't run Windows!

Yeah, but they want the 'cool' of Mac hardware with the 'familiar' of the Windoze look :(

i also like to see when they will use the platinum look of 9 on a screenshot for something(like a browser window) in a magazine or on a tv ad i always notice those things

Yea, macs look good and you are not the only obsessed ... hey, i lke your nick jaguar ;) raurghh..... :p

Originally posted by nb3004
i also like to see when they will use the platinum look of 9 on a screenshot for something(like a browser window) in a magazine or on a tv ad i always notice those things

yes yes yes .. :) LOL My friends have had to become accustomed to me "announcing" which OS is being used whenever we see screenshots or I can see the monitor in a shot.
The MAC browser shots are everywhere. :)

thanx for letting me know I'm not alone :)

-jag

you are definetly not alone, you will find lots of things on these boards that you didnt think other people were really familiar with

There're a couple music videos out there that have the artist listening to a new iPod. I can think of one right off the top of my head: the P.I.M.P. remix video by 50 Cent. There's a couple others out there, IIRC.

I've noticed the browser thing too -- they ALL look like IE or Netscape from OS 9 every time they have a browser shot in a magazine or advertisement -- you can always see the tell-tale close window/windowshade/max-min buttons at the top, all platinum and lookin' good!

People seem to crowd around any laptop despite its craptacularity. I know people crowd around my iBook whenever I take it to B&N. And I usually do little more than writing.

The "Jared's Room" skit on SNL uses NS for 8-9.
I watched Office Space today (on my iMac), and it had Platinum windows with a very Windows hourglass. Hmm...
A commercial for some new retailer, I think T. J. Maxx, has a girl unplugging what looks like an MP3 player.
I think the lady in the Wendy's commercial is actually using an iBook. It wasn't platinum and it was rounded.
I could go on...

Back