Oni Demo/Mac OS X?

Originally posted by asterizk
Anyone gotten the demo of Oni to work under Mac OS X yet? My bombs out on startup.

Heres the contents of startup.txt:
MacOS 10.0.0 detected
begin initializing oni
looking for the game data folder
initializing the template manager
DataFolder = GameDataFolder
Created a file iterator for the data folder.
Got Level Info for level0_Final.dat.
Valid Level level0_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level1_Final.dat.
Valid Level level1_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level4_Final.dat.
Valid Level level4_Final.dat
calling TMrRegisterTemplates
calling ONrRegisterTemplates
initializing oni platform specific code
initializing sound system 2, basic level
initializing basic sound system 2 layer...
initializing oni persistance
initializing scripting
initializing binary data system
initializing imaging
initializing image system...
initializing motoko
initializing 3D display system..
initializing geometry engines...
initializing draw engines...
initializing physics
initializing oni motoko
initializing local input
initializing input system...
InputSprocket is not being used
initializing animation system
initializing animation system...
initializing environment
initializing text system
initializing the console
initializing the materials
initializing the full sound system 2
initializing full sound system 2...
initializing particle 3
initializing oni particle 3
initializing env particle system
initializing physics
initializing game stat
initializing AI 2
initializing window manager
initializing film system
initializing level
initializing oni scripting
initializing OBDr
initializing OBJr
initializing oni cinematics
initializing oni sound
initializing oni movie
initializing the pause screen
finished oni initializing
loading level 0...
setting up 3d engine...
creating new OpenGL context
OpenGL platform initialization
original display settings= 640x480x32 : SUCCESS
DMGetDisplayMode() returned err= 41
changed display settings to: 640x480x32 : SUCCESS
OpenGL vendor =
OpenGL renderer =
OpenGL version =
OpenGL extensions =

And here\'s the contents of debugger.txt:

Error 301 reported from File: BFW_DebuggerSymbols_MacOS.c, Line: 58 (message follows)

DMGetDisplayIDByGDevice() returned err= 48
### warning: particle class \'pstream_shooter\' emitter 2 can\'t find emitted particle \'w_pstream_shot2\'

### warning: particle class \'flame2_e\' emitter 2 can\'t find emitted particle \'test_smoke\'

### warning: particle class \'w3_phr_e01\' emitter 5 can\'t find emitted particle \'w3_phr_p08\'

### warning: particle class \'env_cloud02_p02\' emitter 1 can\'t find emitted particle \'\'

### warning: particle class \'env_cloud02_p01\' emitter 1 can\'t find emitted particle \'\'

### warning: particle class \'env_cloud01_p01b\' emitter 1 can\'t find emitted particle \'\'

### warning: particle class \'env_cloud01_p01a\' emitter 1 can\'t find emitted particle \'\'

### warning: particle class \'env_cloud01_p01\' emitter 1 can\'t find emitted particle \'\'

### warning: particle class \'m_block\' emitter 1 can\'t find emitted particle \'m_p01\'

### warning: particle class \'muroglow_e01\' emitter 2 can\'t find emitted particle \'muroglow_p02\'

### warning: particle class \'phase_shot\' emitter 1 can\'t find emitted particle \'\'

[Edited by asterizk on 01-04-2001 at 01:14 AM]

It works fine on my computer too. It is a great game but it won\'t run full-screen on my computer. How did you decompress it? The version of Stuffit that is included with OS X screws up compressed files. You might want to get the latest version which seems to correct this problem.

Hope this is somewhat helpful :),

Originally posted by ITz The MaN
Oni works fine on my computer.... I never had a problem with it. It is a realy good game, just a bit slow....

Are you running it under Mac OS X? It works for me under Mac OS 8.6, just not under X.

There may be an issue with me trying to run it off a UFS formatted drive, though. I\'ll try running it off an HFS drive.

Krishen

Originally posted by VGZ
The version of Stuffit that is included with OS X screws up compressed files. You might want to get the latest version which seems to correct this problem.

I wonder if that\'s why Stuffit Expander was complaining I had selected a \"flat destination\" when i tried expanding files onto my UFS-formatted main hard-drive? Definitely worth a shot, anyways!

Keep the replies coming! It\'s encouraging!

K

Actually, i have never ran Oni under any pre os x beta system.
UFS format may be the problem... I know that there are other problems with that format and that apple recomends against it (or rather it recomends HFS). If you dont have anything important on the drive, i recomend reformating to HFS. I think this is your main problem. Probably stuffit is not compatible with UFS hard drives...
If Oni was in a SIT archive, you might just need a newer version of stuffit If you want to decompress it. If it was is another format, go to versiontracker.com and search for open up, and use that instead of stuffit.
Good luck!

[Edited by ITz The MaN on 01-05-2001 at 05:22 PM]

I think the best way is to decompress the Demo with the old Mac OS.
I played the demo on 9 and X, the speed was similar.
But in X, the colors did not look as good as in 9. It was kinda rasterized, looked somehow like Quake 3 on a Ati Rage with 16bit, though I had 32bit turned on.

Also, I was not able to quit the game in X. I think I somehow achieved to kill the game without making a reset on OSX, but I don´t know anymore how I did it.

Since then, I don´t play anymore in OSX. But I didn´t like the game so much anyway. But that could have to do with this crappy controls that you cannot change from within the game, just by editing this user.ini. And that is really hell to do for the whole controls...

Hi,

I get the exact same problems with my beige G3 tower 300 rage pro with 256 RAM. My debugger.txt and startup.txt files look exactly the same. I did not have any problems unstuffing with stuffit and I am not using a UFS formatted drive. I have not tried unstuffing the installer under os 9. Hopefully that will do the trick.

I wish I knew what this line in the debugger.txt means:

bye.

Back