Only 120gb of the 250gb recognised ?!

rawkas

Registered
Hi,
when buying my mac it was advertised as 160gb HDD (one 120gb and one 40gb). now it has arrived and iv looked inside and it has one 40gb HDD and a 250gb HDD ! and the mac only recognises 120gb of it !

Please can somebody help me free that poor unused memory :( ?

'... when buying my [unspecified] mac [model] ...' - specific Macintosh models do not support accessing greater than (approximately) 128 GB of storage space.

Download Mactracker and view the specifications for your (unspecified) Macintosh model. Click on the respective windows' 'Expansion/Port' tab, and look for the 'Large Drive Support:' line.

If 'No (Maximum of 128 GB per drive)' is listed - you could:
01. Leave the 250 GB as is - formatted at 128 GB.
02. Purchase and install a PCI to ATA card capable of supporting hard disk drives, hdds, greater than 128 GB.
03. Remove the 250 GB hdd and place it into an external FireWire case.

If a PCI to ATA card is installed, and the 250 GB hdd is connected, or the 250 GB hdd is installed into an external FireWire case - reformat the hdd and all 250 GB (actually approximately 230 GB) will then be accessible.

If the 40 GB hdd is your boot drive, consider purchasing a Western Digital or Seagate 120 GB hdd as its replacement. This way you will have a great deal of space for MacOS X to use, in addition to any additional software you will install.

If your unspecified Macintosh model has a Zip drive bay, you can also install a 3.5" hdd into it, as well.

I've had similar issues with adding more then 128gb of storage to an older G4. The extra storage would be devoted exclusively to iTunes. I'm debating whether to go ahead and get a SATA controller card and internal SATA hard drive or just get a external firewire hard drive. Would the extra speed afforded by a SATA drive really be necessary for iTunes? Any thoughts? Thanks.

PS. This is seems to be a solution for getting more then 128gb out of a ATA drive but the drive needs to be partitioned into less 128gb partitions.
http://www.speedtools.com/ATA6.shtml

You don't need it to be a Firewire enclosure. You could use USB 2.0, as long as the enclosure supports LBA48. It'll be awfully slow unless you get a USB 2.0 card for the Mac, but USB 2.0 enclosures are a lot easier to find cheaply than Firewire.

Another unrecommended option is to use Linux. Look up the Macintosh partition table format at Apple's developer docs, edit the correct sector in hexadecimal (because no free tool will automatically set up the partitions correctly), and run MacOS X in a Mac-on-Linux virtual machine. It currently doesn't support audio in or Quartz Extreme, and USB/Firewire are a bit tricky, but it's another option that works. And it's free.

There's also the ATA Hi-Cap Support Driver http://www.speedtools.com/ATA6.shtml as mentioned in Dan's article.

Back