Oops - G5 just died.

Mr_Spencer

Registered
I'd been having problems with bluetooth on my G5 dual processor running Leopard, so decided to reset the pram. I restarted the computer but it wouldn't turn off, just closed down all the applications, cleared the desktop then sat there. It wouldn't close down via the power button, so after 10 minutes or so I switched off at the mains. I restarted it and held down the relevant buttons and reset the pram, heard the chimes twice, but since then nothing. It turns off with the power button, but when I try to start up I hear chimes, the fan starts up, then it's quiet, whereas it's a pretty noisy machine usually. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong, please?

Try reseating your graphics card.
Try reseating the RAM chips.Remember that the RAM is installed in matching pairs, so make sure to use valid pairs when you reseat them - that is, each matched pairs should be in a valid pair of slots. On the G5 with 8 memory slots, 4 & 5 is a good pair, and 3 & 6 are the next correct slot pair.

If you can't get anything more to happen, does the power light on the front panel flash in a sequence as your Mac tries to start up?

Thanks for replying and apologies for the late reply. I was out all day yesterday and when I got home I thought I'd give it another try. Oh joy! It came back up, although I saw the folder with the flashing question mark for a few seconds. Now a couple of months back a CD got stuck in the drive and none of the usual commands will get it out, I figure some time I'm going to have to go inside and get it, though I don't know how. I wonder if the Mac was confused about what to start up from, although I tried it holding down the 'x' key. Just an idea.
Thanks again for taking the time to write.

PS Bluetooth still not working.

Last edited:
Can you open the tray in the normal method?:
Restart your Mac, while holding the mouse button down. The CD tray should open shortly after the monitor screen lights up.
If that fails, try to open the CD tray manually:
The CD front panel will open by making it slide open, pushing down on the door with your fingertips. There's a tiny round hole on the front of the CD drive, immediately under the tray. Firmly push an unfolded paper clip into that hole, and you will see the tray pop out, just enough to gently grab and pull the tray out with your fingers.

The brief, flashing folder probably just means that you need to set the startup disk.
Boot up, then open your System Preferences, then Startup Disk. Select your boot drive by clicking on the drive's icon there, and that should be all you need to do.
But, check on your Bluetooth while you are in the System Preferences.
Do you see a Bluetooth preference pane?
If so, what do you see when you open that pane?

If you don't have Bluetooth pref pane, click on your Apple menu, then choose About this Mac. When that window opens, click on the More Info button. You should see Bluetooth a few lines from the top of the list on the left. What do you see when you click on that Bluetooth item? It should show some information about your bluetooth chip.

If that looks OK (and does NOT say No Information Found), then what problem are you having with Bluetooth?

Thanks again for your help, I hadn't realised the front of the CD drive slid down - I thought it was part of the drive, that's why I couldn't see a hole. I've slid it down and put a paper clip in but it still won't open. I can feel contact and hear a whirr but it won't open.
The Bluetooth icon is present in Preferences but the options 'On' and 'Discoverable' are greyed out. The light is on in my bluetooth USB dongle, which works fine on my wife's G4.
System Profiler for bluetooth has:
Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 2.1.9f10
Services:
Bluetooth File Transfer:
Folder other devices can browse: ~/Public
Requires Authentication: Yes
State: Enabled
Bluetooth File Exchange:
Folder for accepted items: ~/Downloads
Requires Authentication: No
When other items are accepted: Ask
When PIM items are accepted: Ask
When receiving items: Prompt for each file
State: Enabled

Any ideas?

I think you are being too gentle with the manual eject.... It's not electrical, but takes a firm push to release the tray. It may only move enough to allow you to grab the edge of the tray to pull it the rest of the way out. In other words, don't expect it to slide completely open. You have to be patient with that - it will eject...

Is there a bluetooth device showing in the Bluetooth pref pane window?
What is the bluetooth device that you want to use? Printer? Mouse or keyboard? Something else?

Well I've done the paper clip trick before (and it took ages searching through drawers before I found one) and the tray's not budging, I'm pushing the clip way in but no movement. I'll give it another go later.
The bluetooth preference pane shows my wife's phone and my son's - I removed mine hoping setting it up again might get the bluetooth working.

Bluetooth back!! I opened the set up assistant, which I tried before but it didn't see my phone, and it's all running fine now. Curious. Just got to get that pesky CD out now.

Try this trick for the CD tray
Let me know if it works.

Shut your Mac off.
press and release the power button, then immediately hold the left click mouse button. Continue to hold that left-click. If the drive works at all, you should see the tray slide out shortly after the screen lights up.

Thanks, I've already tried that, and using the command line in Terminal but it won't budge. I have to go out now but when I get back I shall have another go with the paper clip, and perhaps try to hook something onto the tray to give it a bit of gentle persuasion.

Back