oowh - did I blow it?

Big-G

Registered
I moved my G4 Power Mac to the living room, plugged the power cord in the (UK) outlet and the first thing I hear is POP - from the plug. Now the G4 wont start up ALTHOUGH the On/Off button still lights up whan I push it. Other than that, nothing. Outlet is fine, power cord is fine, G4 is doing but lighting up the switch...

Please tell me I can fix this... and if so, how? I looked inside, but see nothing that says "I am a blown fuse - please replace me..."

Thanks! G.

Open up the G4 and look for a button somwhere on the motherboard..you can't miss it. This is for performing a PMU reset. First, turn off the Mac so that it's not showing any signs of being on (you might want to unplug it for about 10 seconds before you plug it back in to make sure the Mac turns off completely). Secondly, hold down that PMU button for only one second. Close up the Mac and hit the power button and see if the machine comes back to life.

Post back with results.

By chance, did you plug the power cord into a power socket first, and then plug it into the back of the Macintosh? If so, that's backward and dangerous and can fry your machine in a couple of different ways -- ALWAYS plug the power cord into the computer FIRST, and plug the other end into the power socket LAST.

What nixgeek said is what I would recommend as well -- it simply sounds like your PMU got scrambled, and performing the PMU reset is a potention cure.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
By chance, did you plug the power cord into a power socket first, and then plug it into the back of the Macintosh? If so, that's backward and dangerous and can fry your machine in a couple of different ways -- ALWAYS plug the power cord into the computer FIRST, and plug the other end into the power socket LAST.

What nixgeek said is what I would recommend as well -- it simply sounds like your PMU got scrambled, and performing the PMU reset is a potention cure.

Thanks Nixgeek and ElDiabloConCaca; the PMU reset button worked. G4 is buzzing again and I am happy again. (BTW: did plug in the Mac first and than the power outlet: by chance, not by design. Thanks for that bit of info. Why is that?)

I traced the problem down to the 6-gang surge protection (!) power block I was using, it shorts out momentariliy when you insert a plug, which must have tripped the PMU. Its in the bin now. So much for cheap surge protection power blocks...

Thanks again, G.

Back