Open Folder In New Window Back In El Capitan?

nealt

Registered
OK so I don't know how I did it or what preference or app did it but it seems to be back in my El Capitan 10.11.1 install. I am talking about if I double click on a finder folder it opens in a new window instead of replacing the existing window with a new window. Of course the back-forward arrows are dimmed out. In fact I can no longer get the old El Capitan behavior back.

I restarted and it is the same. I actually like this but it would have been nice to have the arrows activated.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Also El Captain

Attachments

fryke

Staff member
Mod
One thing you can do is throw the Finder's preferences out, which effectively starts the Finder with the default values again. You should find the file in ~/Library/Preferences as com.apple.finder.plist. Also, there is a switch in Finder's preferences window that lets you choose between opening folders in a new window or a new tab, although I guess both options aren't what you're looking for.

nealt

Registered
Well I just reinstalled the OS which got me back to normal. What I really want to know is how I got there in the first place? To me that indicates that there must be a switch burried in the OS that would get the old behavior back. This would be useful to know.

nealt

Registered
The problem is back again. Deleting the pref file did not help. I think the problem is related to xtrafinder which I tried to install at one time. I deleted all the xtrafinder files I could find but this did not help. Any more ideas?