Open Folder In New Window Back In El Capitan?

nealt

Registered
OK so I don't know how I did it or what preference or app did it but it seems to be back in my El Capitan 10.11.1 install. I am talking about if I double click on a finder folder it opens in a new window instead of replacing the existing window with a new window. Of course the back-forward arrows are dimmed out. In fact I can no longer get the old El Capitan behavior back.

I restarted and it is the same. I actually like this but it would have been nice to have the arrows activated.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Also El Captain

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    417.7 KB · Views: 7
One thing you can do is throw the Finder's preferences out, which effectively starts the Finder with the default values again. You should find the file in ~/Library/Preferences as com.apple.finder.plist. Also, there is a switch in Finder's preferences window that lets you choose between opening folders in a new window or a new tab, although I guess both options aren't what you're looking for.

Well I just reinstalled the OS which got me back to normal. What I really want to know is how I got there in the first place? To me that indicates that there must be a switch burried in the OS that would get the old behavior back. This would be useful to know.

The problem is back again. Deleting the pref file did not help. I think the problem is related to xtrafinder which I tried to install at one time. I deleted all the xtrafinder files I could find but this did not help. Any more ideas?

Back