Open Office Install for Dummies

I had noticed that too. :p For the record, I've installed the new 2.0 version and it installs fine. It still requires X11 and it's very clunky (tries to bring a Windows-ish environment to the Mac), but it does the job. I haven't tried out NeoOffice yet, but the fact that it's based on the older 1.1.x series is a turn-off for me. :rolleyes:

nixgeek said:
I haven't tried out NeoOffice yet, but the fact that it's based on the older 1.1.x series is a turn-off for me. :rolleyes:
Yep, that's why I'm pursuing OO 2.0.1 on OS X. I've used OO 2.0 on Windows and it's great.

Peace...

I hate how they install an invisible (starts with a ".") folder to the Applications folder. Makes it a _bit_ hard to get rid of...

fryke said:
I hate how they install an invisible (starts with a ".") folder to the Applications folder. Makes it a _bit_ hard to get rid of...
Do you mean the OpenOffice installer creates a hidden folder in the Applications folder? Why would you care if it did or not?

Generally speaking, apps on Unix tend to store local settings in a hidden directory (folder) in the user's home directory (folder) so different users can have different settings even though the app is installed in a central/global location.

Peace...

Well, I got OpenOffice 2.0.0 installed on the Mac mini today! Woo-Hoo!!! I haven't done much with it but it seems to run ok. It starts the X server, as mentioned here, and I can easily switch between OO and other OS X apps running, which is great. I was even able to print to a network printer on the first attempt. :)

Peace...

NeoOffice was recently updated to be functionally equivalent to OpenOffice 2.0. I have both installed on my computer, but use NeoOffice because text/graphics look more Mac-like with anti-aliasing, and it uses the Command key rather than the Control key. Other than those differences, they seem to be functionally identical, except that NeoOffice is a native Mac application and does not require X11.

http://www.neooffice.org/

chemistry_geek said:
NeoOffice was recently updated to be functionally equivalent to OpenOffice 2.0. I have both installed on my computer, but use NeoOffice because text/graphics look more Mac-like with anti-aliasing, and it uses the Command key rather than the Control key. Other than those differences, they seem to be functionally identical, except that NeoOffice is a native Mac application and does not require X11.

http://www.neooffice.org/
Where did you read about the NeoOffice update? I read this on the NeoOffice main page:

1 February 2006: NeoOffice 1.2 is released. This release now includes all of the features in the NeoOffice 1.2 Beta release plus fixes for many of the bugs found by users. Like the NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha and Beta releases, this release uses Apple's Java 1.4.x release and is based on the OpenOffice 1.1.5 code which gives NeoOffice the ability to import Open Document files. NeoOffice 1.2 can be downloaded here. If you already have NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha or Beta installed, you can download a small upgrade patch here.
Peace...

tomdkat said:
Do you mean the OpenOffice installer creates a hidden folder in the Applications folder? Why would you care if it did or not?

Generally speaking, apps on Unix tend to store local settings in a hidden directory (folder) in the user's home directory (folder) so different users can have different settings even though the app is installed in a central/global location.

Peace...

I would care because that invisible folder is ~300 MB in size and it's not obvious to the user that he should get rid of it when deleting OOo in order to remove the software. It's not a settings folder, m'dear, it's the actual application that's being hidden, so that it seems as if the OOo.app is a nice Mac OS X-like application.

fryke said:
I would care because that invisible folder is ~300 MB in size and it's not obvious to the user that he should get rid of it when deleting OOo in order to remove the software. It's not a settings folder, m'dear, it's the actual application that's being hidden, so that it seems as if the OOo.app is a nice Mac OS X-like application.
Wait a minute. Please excuse my ignorance (I'm still new to this Mac stuff) but you're telling me when I dragged the OO icon from the install .dmg file to the "Applications" folder in Finder, it didn't install OO in Applications but in the home directory in a hidden directory instead?

EDIT: Scratch that. I re-read your post. I get it now. Sorry for the confusion. It's NOT cool that OO installs itself in a hidden directory in "Applications".

Peace...

Back