open port 21 for ftp in mac osx server 10.6

thosecars82

Registered
Hello
I want to open port 21. The firewall in the mac server is already off.The ftp server is enabled in this mac server. The NAT in the router is set accordingly to the internal IP of this MAC computer (OS X Server 10.6). However, whenever I try http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/port-scan/ to check whether the port 21 is open or not, it still says that the port is closed.
Any idea?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Have you forwarded port 21 on whatever modem/router you're using?

What does your network setup look like?

The thing is that I think that the problem is caused by the ISP.

I not only tried to open the 21 port but many other ports without success. I was forwarding all these different ports to a mac server which has no firewall enabled.

Therefore when I check whether the ports of the wan ip of the router are opened or not, it should say "opened". However, it does not say so yet.

There was a technician from the ISP who came to take a glance at this problem but they weren't able to do anything either to fix this problem.

Did anyone have a similar problem before?

Thanks

What about using a non-system port -- like 2121 -- and forwarding that to your computer's port 21?

When you connect to your FTP server, you would simply instruct the FTP client to connect via port 2121, which will then connect to your FTP server's computer on port 21.

Do you have control over the router's port forwarding abilities?

What about using a non-system port -- like 2121 -- and forwarding that to your computer's port 21?

When you connect to your FTP server, you would simply instruct the FTP client to connect via port 2121, which will then connect to your FTP server's computer on port 21.

Do you have control over the router's port forwarding abilities?

Hello
I do not think I tried with that port but I tried with some other port which was between 4000 and 5000 and it did not work either. That is to say, the port didn't seem to be open acording to tools like http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/port-scan/

Are you actually accessing the router's setup page and opening those ports?

You need to say whether or not you have done this, as it's an integral step. You can scan ports all day long and none of them are going to be open unless you manually ope/forward them on your outermost router (the router that connects to the internet).

Please verify what model of router/modem you're using and whether you have logged into the router's setup page and opened these ports.

So... can you connect via FTP from WITHIN your local network?

If you can't connect to the machine from WITHIN your network, then you'll definitely not be able to connect from OUTSIDE the network.

Let's verify that you can connect from within the local network, on the same subnet, via FTP...

Back