OpenGL Video Drivers for ATI non-128

Jeff Ulrikson

Registered
Anyone know how to install video hardware drivers for OpenGL in MaccOS X? Apparently Apple didn't provide any for the ATI Rage Pro (Standard in the Rev C and D iMacs). They only provided drivers for the ATI128 (Standard in everything since the Rev D).

So, I want hardware OpenGL on my iMac too!! I need it for developing....
so what can we do? Ask people for workaround drivers from the unix world and everyone with a Rage PRO please send feedback to Apple!!!!!!!

I do that often, and always about the Rage PRO thing!!!!

Please help me to get hardware OpenGL on iMacs Rev A-D, some powerbooks and ibooks!! We need it, and still not here in OS X 10.1!!

No openGL for raqe pro. Harrumph. That is the second video card in my b & w g3.

I guess that explains why everything slows to a crawl as soon as opeGL graphics show up on the second monitor...

Mac OS X 10.1 (Build 5G64) [This is SUPPOSEDLY the GM folks] does NOT have Rage Pro OpenGL drivers. Trust me. I know. I'm using it RIGHT NOW. ONLY software rendering works. No hardware accelleration.

In any case, my original post was made almost a year ago. Why the sudden interest after being ignored for so long?!?

Hm, I wasn't here before...

I search for Rage PRO drivers, always write feedback to Apple (feedback form to OS X at apple.com) and I thought it would be fixed in 10.1. But I heard not, so I wanted to know, if there is any way, to get some 3rd party drivers. Maybe from the Unix World or Rage128 hacked to Rage64...
If there is no way, I will continue writing feedback: Great OS, nice look and feel, a little slow, but I need RagePRO OpenGL!!
Please help and keep writing feedback! I need it for Game Development, because of Quesa (Open Source QD3D implementation based on OpenGL) and I can't afford a new Mac at the moment. I am saving for a G4 Cube from a friend....

----
iMac Rev D.
192 MB RAM
4 GB OS X
10 GB OS 9.1&Apps
25 GB Data&Backups

Extremely annoying... Per this URL:

http://www.ati.com/na/pages/faq/mac/mac_osx_faq.html

... the news is not good:

Q3: Which ATI graphics products have 2D and 3D support under OS X?

A3:
ATI and Apple® have worked together to provide built-in 2D, 3D, and QuickTime™ acceleration support on OS X for all RADEON™, RAGE™ 128 PRO, and RAGE™ 128 based products (this includes RAGE™ ORION, NEXUS 128™, XCLAIM™ VR 128, RADEON™ MAC EDITION AGP and RADEON™ MAC EDITION PCI). It is not ATI’s intention to provide OS X support for RAGE™ PRO based products.

This just gets better and better. What with that and no support for my Umax scanner, why on earth would I EVER want to migrate to OS X?!?

Just seems to me, that Apple is totally abandoning everyone with an old mac. :mad: I have an iMac bondi 333 with rage PRO too (never was a good graphics card...) No wonder my quicktime movies play slow, and I cant seem to play any 3d games.
Damn. Thought the card was supported. Damn. If anyone finds out about drivers of any sort, please email me (frederik@lyng.dk) Thanks.

the Apple guys are mostly my heroes, but sometimes they REALLY suck!

Hi
Well you were going fine but you hit a speed bump and rolled a little. Mac OS 10.0.0-10.0.4 did not have any support for the AtI Rage Pro (LT) chipset. Though Mac OS 10.1.0 does take advantage of your GPU now but..........................there is no OpenGL graphics acceleration. Not a big difference but yet it is. Apple provided hardware acceleration with the Rage Pro in Mac OS 10.1 (and it might even include QuickTime and other non-OpenGL acceleration) but OpenGL drivers are unfound in this current build.

My proof (go here to see proof):

::You must do this using Mac OS 10.1 Build 5G64::

localhost(your omputer)-->hard drive(your Mac OS X drive)-->System-->Library-->Extensions-->

There is: (Where, I believe, GA=Graphics, a.k.a hardware, Acceleration and GLDriver=OpenGL hardware accleration Drivers)

ATIRadeon.kext
ATIRadeonDVDDriver.bundle
ATIRadeonGA.plugin
ATIRadeonGLDriver.bundle
ATIRage128.kext
ATIRage128GA.plugin
ATIRage128GLDriver.bundle
ATIRagePro.kext
ATIRageProGA.plugin

So it is lacking

ATIRageProGLDriver.bundle

I put feedback of this immediately after seeing this problem wasn't assessed even in 10.1. Now all we have to do is get my iMac some drivers. I have an iMac revision A (ATI Rage IIC with 6MB upgraded from 2MB)

P.S. I gotta get a RADEON for my Power Mac G4 Sawtooth (AGP) as right now I just noticed hardware DVD decoding with the RADEON is actually supported.

Back