Opening Applications

wiz

Registered
Hey guys! Any idea on how to open a second instance of a running app?

its possible if its a unix app.. but what if its a .app application? looks like osx will let you run only one instance at a time.

argh no other way? i mean if it's a big app.. then that would be a problem.

i think apple should an option to the open command to open a second instance of a runnign app

Ah - a windows user!
Just curious - Why would you need to open more instances on a Mac? A lot of apps allow opening a new window, such as browsers or many word processors. Some will allow large numbers of open docs or browsers (as long as you have a reasonable amount of memory, and a fast processor) You don't have to worry so much about an app crashing, (at least it's not MS Windows...)

edit < I see you have a lot of posts regarding software development - I can see good reasons for needing to open more than one instance for those purposes. If my comments were somewhat sarcastic, that was not really my intent. >

Think about how confusing that would be for the Dock :p. You click on an open application and it opens the application again. You click on the new one to try and go and quit it, and blam! opens a new one.

One is fine for most people. I'm sure there's a command that will allow two instances to be run simultaneously, but it would be at the discretion of the developer, not we the people. Unless it's something that is set somewhere in a plist file (like whether or not it runs in the Dock).

Totally unqualified remark: One option could be running a second Mac. ;-)

Now on to the more qualified _questions_: If duplicating the application is out of question, might there be an option with aliasing? You could duplicate the wrapper but symlink to the insides of the original... Or at least for the resources (they're the biggies, no?)... Dunno whether that would in any way work (or if it were any _good_)...

Back