Opening folder from dock with a single click

nealt

Registered
Does anyone know of an application, utility, etc. that will allow one to “open” a folder in the dock with a single click instead of clicking on the folder and selecting open from the menu?

On a MacBook--thing with trackpads--you can get the shareware SideTrack-which will allow you to tap on a folder in the dock to open it.

--J.D.

Does anyone know of an application, utility, etc. that will allow one to “open” a folder in the dock with a single click instead of clicking on the folder and selecting open from the menu?

I do this all the time. Here are the steps i did to access all my applications and launch them with one click.

1. Highlight the /Applications/ folder.
2. Drag the highlighted /Applications/ folder to the right side of the Dock (to right of the separator on the dock)

Now I can just click on the applications folder in the Dock, highlight the application and just click again. I have it working now like the old Apple symbol in OS 9.

Note: To finish off the /Applications/ folder in my Dock I started using the script Set Stack Icon. I followed the instructions on the web site (to install) and just right clicked in the Finder window, select 'More', 'Automator', selected 'Set Stack Icon'. This then made a folder in the top of the folder the looks like the parent folder but with a • in Front of it. Now the Applications folder (and every other folder) looks like the parent folder and that looks cleaner in my opinion.

One more option: Start using a launcher like LaunchBar or QuickSivler.

Last edited:
Yes I know this. My problem is that I cannot break the habit of single clicking on the folder icon on the dock. I then get a list. fan, etc. My list is very long and thus have to scroll. I just wnt to single click and have the folder open. The various launching programs do not allow you to do this.

If you Leopard the you can use Spotlight to launch a program with one click.

1. Click on the top left Spotlight icon.
2. Type the name of the program.
3. The top selection (which is the program) will get highlighted so then hit the "return" button and the application will launch.

One click ;)

I find that if you right+click on a folder in a finder window, then create an alias to this folder, now drag this alias to the dock and it will work as you desire.

Back