Optical Drive Problems

bdefilippo

Registered
When ripping CD's with my new iMac 20", occasionally a CD will start to initialize then it will disappear from the desktop. I can eject the CD using Disk Utility or even using the hard-button on the Mac keyboard but other than that it is as though the CD is not there. Then, when I put the CD back in again all is well and it comes right up. I have never had this problem with the same CD twice in a row. Anyone know what's up?

Also the drive seems really picky - iTunes will hang when trying to rip a CD that is at all "well used" (OK I don't take care of my CD's as well as I should but they work fine in my Windows machines)...

Well there is a couple things you could try:

1) Reset your Pram tot ry to fix it.

2) Get a disk cleaner cd/dvd (at your local electronics store) disk.

If neither of these things work, the laser that writes in the drive might be going.gone bad. I sorry to be a person to deliver the bad news. If the Mac is under AppleCare then call Apple and explain what you see. They may replace the drive.

What can be done about a bad optical drive. I own an iMac G5, I was just told the optical drive needs to be replaced. Any suggestions? what does something like that cost?
:
:
::

Back