Optimizing is bad and fsck -y no longer works?

Originally posted by genghiscohen
When you run the very fast fsck -y routine, what message do you get? Does it say "Disk _____ appears to be okay"? If not, then fsck has failed for some reason.
The earlier advice about using DiskWarrior is a good idea. Another option is reinstalling OS X.

In terminal, or single user mode (both as root), this is all I get:

Welcome to Darwin!
[dsl081-039-207:~] root# fsck -y

(then I hit enter. Then the computer works for about 3 to 10 seconds.) Then I just get:

[dsl081-039-207:~] root#

Are you sure you are starting in single user mode? That prompt doesn't look like a single user mode prompt, which would be just:

#

To start in single user mode, you have to hold down "S" (or is it command-s ?) while booting. I think that it is important that the filesystem is mounted in read-only mode when running fsck. I.e. I don't know what would happen if you ran it from Terminal, but I don't think it would be good!

Originally posted by dsnyder
Are you sure you are starting in single user mode? That prompt doesn't look like a single user mode prompt, which would be just:

#

To start in single user mode, you have to hold down "S" (or is it command-s ?) while booting. I think that it is important that the filesystem is mounted in read-only mode when running fsck. I.e. I don't know what would happen if you ran it from Terminal, but I don't think it would be good!

I tried fsck -y both in single user mode and in terminal. Nothing happened either time. My above example was from being logged in as root in terminal.app

Nothing bad happened ;-)

Originally posted by lethe
i think that you are supposed to specify a filesystem, so it should look like:
Code:
fsck -y /

I REALLY DON'T EVER remember having to put the forward slash after that, but feces*, I'll try it!!! I'll report back in a few...

*oops had to edit this post gotta get used to this.....

Another thing to try: I wonder if you might get a better idea of if it is really doing anything if you omitted the -y flag (the -y tells fsck to answer "yes" to any questions that it may ask. Perhaps it really is doing something silently, and not notifying you?). Please report back the result. I'm very curious as to what is going on here.

I also wonder if you have tried any other disk utilities. if you don't have anything else available, Disk First Aid (should be on your OS 9 CD) is better than nothing.

hmmm, i also tried without the -y flag, and the same thing happened.

Ahh i still haven't had time to try putting the "/" forward slash....

i'll try soon....

It's Command - s to boot up in single user mode. And the prompt that I get when ready to run fsck is:
localhost#

ok, here's the deal...
I tried running fsck -y both from terminal, and from logging in as >console

both options presented a prompt with root#

However neither of these is truly single user mode.

You're right... restarting the computer and holding command-S will get you into single user mode, with a prompt of localhost#, and say it's READ-ONLY.

so I ran fsck -y (no forward slash "/")

And it worked finally! I got two errors, both in Extents Tree and Catalog File there were an incorrect number of leaf records, or something. The second time I ran fsck -y it said no errors.

Sadly, my hard disk icon still has black stripes through it. It's been like that unifxable for over 3 weeks now I think.

The quick and easy way to perform this function is to open terminal and type....

sudo shutdown now

That will immediately bring you to single user mode which looks like this...

localhost #

then type fsck -y

the operation will perform. Upon completion type exit and your computer will reboot into your default OS.

There is an Apple knowledge base article (106857) about the black stripes that basically says they don't know exactly what causes it or how to fix it. I had the black stripes through my icons once, and fixed it by resizing the icons. If I remember right, they would still have the stripes when they were set at a certain size. Ever since I put another 512MB in my iBook the problem has gone away.

Back