Oracle to buy Sun, what happens to ZFS?

artov

Registered
Sun and Oracle today announced a definitive agreement for Oracle to acquire Sun for $9.50 per share in cash. The Sun Board of Directors has unanimously approved the transaction. It is anticipated to close this summer. (SUN).

Everyone has being worried about SUN's MySQL, but what about SUN's filesystem ZFS (Zetta File System)? Oracle has a filesystem of their own, OCFS (Oracle Cluster File System).

(There has being talk that OS X 10.6 will have support for ZFS; that is why this news is relevant to macosx.com forum, I thinkk)

Dannng, that is a whole lot of money. That is over seven billion dollars.
I haven't heard much of Oracle lately; is it possible that someone could give a brief summary of what they are doing now or direct me to a place where I can find it?

MySQL is open source so it can be forked it need be. There's also PostgreSQL, but I don't know if there's a Mac OS X version.

MySQL is dual-licensed under the GPL and a proprietary license. The GPL is too restrictive for some uses, which is why dual-licensing works. The problem is, any forks of MySQL would be under the GPL and only the GPL.

PostgreSQL (which does run on OS X, btw) has a more liberal BSD-style license. But a lot of people are very invested in MySQL, and converting from one to the other isn't as simple as snapping your fingers. I can see how people would be apprehensive about this.

Will Oracle run MySQL into the ground by merging it with their own products, making a hideous FrankenDB?

Come to think of it...is there anything else they could do with it? :p

Back