Ordered my Dual 1.8ghz - ship date is 2months!

goynang

Some guy
I've finally made my mind up and ordered a dual 1.8ghz Power Mac with 1gb RAM and the nvidia 6800 ultra. That's the good news, now the bad. Ship date is on (or before) 29th October!!!!!

I'm going to go mad waiting that long. Seems the graphic card is the hold up - I wanted the best one for games and future proofing. It stated October when I was ordering so I thought 1 month was just about bearable. The actual order confirmation email states the 29th October which is pretty much 2 months away. Arggggggggghhhhhhh!

Starting to think I should have waited until they were shipping. Who knows what else might happen between now and then. 2 months is a long time in the computer world.

Ho hum....

I thought it was the production problems of 1.8 GHz G5 Processors because of the new iMacs that recently came out

That sucks...
I ordered my Powerbook...says on (or before) 13th September.

Now, as al Im doing is adding RAM to the powerbook, it shouldnt take long right?

I think I will wait until they release new Power Macs with dual core 970s. I hope I can wait it out before I fall to the temptation of the current Power Macs

;)

I'm hoping that if there are any Power Mac upgrades (like dual core stuff you mention) during the course of the next two months I'll automatically get bumped up. Mind you, if they can't supply current demand I can't see any processor bumps coming for quite a while. Sounds like they need to sort out the supply lines first.

A lot of the G5 delays are due to IBM's problems with manufacturing the G5s. These are documented on a number of news sites all over the web. It's a shame really.

Don't forget the big supercomputer contracts Apple gets like the VA university cluster, and the contract with the U.S. Navy. Thousands of G5 CPUs going into those supercomputers instead of in our homes.

It's the simple rules on supply and demand and lack of supplies to feed the high demand. I wouldn't be too hard on IBM in regards to production problems because *every* CPU maker in the industry is having problems with the 90nm fab.

Are you seriously suggesting that the U.S. Navy is a more important customer to Apple than I am.

Do you know who I think I am?

(yes, I am joking)

The shipping delay you're seeing is due to that NVidia 6800 Ultra dual-dual DVI port card. I've only seen one report of someone that actually had one, and people didn't believe him because he "won" it in a company raffle.

As far as I know, the NVidia 6800 Ultra cards won't be shipping until sometime in October, so that's why your machine is held up -- not because of any 1.8GHz G5 shortages.

If you cancel that order and config the same machine, sans NVidia 6800 ultra, I'm sure you'll see a much sooner ship/delivery date.

Yes, you are right (and I mentioned it was the gfx card in my original post).

I've decided I just can't wait that long (I've buckled already!) and I'm going to change my order to the ATI 9800 XT and bump up to the dual 2ghz to make up for it. I can always buy the latest greatest gfx card at some point in the future if need be.

It's still gonna seem like lightspeed compared to my little old iBook.

Back