Organize! my osx brothers, don't let the osx man keep us down!

Images would be cool in OUR tags, my brothers and sisters

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Most (not all) of the users of this board could care less about the site's bandwidth usage; all they care about is their own bandwidth. If you put images into signatures, then it takes them that much longer to download no matter where it comes from (longer, perhaps, because you don't know where it's coming from or how good the connection there is).

And Toast: Those signatures with big text (thankfully few and far between) take up enough space already, why add an ad banner to the bottom of everyone's post as well?

ksv, you know the thing about the sniper, that was pure sarcasm, just a joke. In real life I think you're OK cuz you like video games.

i really think that having img tags in the signatures is too much. images bloat pages, they make pages ugly, and in general they hurt the overall design of the site. why not make whatever image you want into an avatar, the avatar serves the same purpose with a size limitation (is it 128 by 128?) so the board doesn't begin to look bloated and out of proportion.
now im not one to complain about bandwidth, but some people are still on 56k and do not have thirty seconds to wait for each page to load, and when space is wasted like that and images are downloaded, it makes browsing the fourms much harder.
and has anyone ever been to spymac.com/forums? look at how big the smallest post from anyone with or without an avatar is. all they did that is different the here is they let the avatars get bigger and have some buttons under the avatar. just posting one line of text takes up five inches of vertical board space!
one of the nicest things about macosx.com, and the main thing that kept me coming back to this form instead of another form is its enviroment. it is consistent, simple, and it doesnt hurt my eyes to look at. i am not saying that adding image tags would ruin the atmosphere, but it sure would bring down the design element of this site.

I know it's a dead horse now, but for example, this is the signature image I use on other forums. It changes regularly.
hab_sig.gif

and i agree that that looks nice, but if everyone had one like that not everyones would look nice, as looking nice is a matter of preference, and the board would lose quite a bit of its good old simplicity.
on other boards, some people just put big solid background gifs that say something stupid!

whatever keeps the boardies happy ;^) but if it does get implemented i agree that you should be able to disable the img tags in the signature, without turning off signatures.

~kjell? Norwegian ancestors, or just a coincidence? That name is only two letters, minus one, from my own ;)

Originally posted by habilis
3. If you want, specify dimensions of the image (around 432px X 54px or 6" X 3/4")
Beyond that, all the same rules that apply to avatars would apply to the signature image.

Use the avatar. learn to express yourself in 80x80 pix, or forget it. i hate even the sites that have huge avatars, such as 150x. *if* there was an img allowed in signature, it would *not* be 432 pix x 54, but rather 120 x 20, or less than that. you have the unlimited text in your possession as sign. (unlimited = as long as no one complains about yours), AND the avatar. period.

Originally posted by habilis
The cool graphic signatures would only be for the cool, graphically oriented people, which, incidentally, is about 20%. Thats why the graphic signatures would be off by default and almost a hidden function that only the really cool, forum saavy cats would turn on.

99 % of the users would use it. look at macnn lounge images and re-state your argument. use the avatar if you want a picture. :rolleyes:

Geez: The avatars on this site are a MAXIMUM of 50x50 pixels. That should be plenty to express whatever you need to say.

hmmm... it might have been that my computer was restarting of shut down... i can get at it from both the pc across the room and the mac here. if it still doesn't work tell me - it might be a network issue. oh and if you don't have safari or mozilla don't even bother going there - it renders horribly because i haven't worked on it for other browsers.
i just figured out that ie doesn't support <div class=" "> properly, so almost none of my site works in it : >

edit: yeah fryke my router keeps changing my ip address although i don't think that it should... i can't tell either because unless i get outside the lan something makes it so i get to the server no matter what the router is set as.

Originally posted by ksv
~kjell? Norwegian ancestors, or just a coincidence? That name is only two letters, minus one, from my own ;)

oh yes, its half norwegian and half danish, as my mom is norwegian and my father danish. quite the scandanavian name, huh?

i have been to several sites that allow sig pics. i've never revisited any of them. i find them terribly annoying and extremely self-serving.

however habilis, if you would like to entertain us with yours from time to time, feel free to add into the bottom of your post above your actual signiture every now and then. frankly i wish there was a way that all kinds of signitures only showed up on a person's first post in any thread. then i could tolerate pics in them. i also think this quick reply should be defaulted to not show the sig and you should have to do a regular reply to include it.

Originally posted by mr. K
oh yes, its half norwegian and half danish, as my mom is norwegian and my father danish. quite the scandanavian name, huh?

and you are american? amazing you ever met your parents, eh? :D

Back