original macbook air use time machine with firewire external how to connect

jeffsedlak

Registered
I would like to use Time Machine to back up my original 13" MacBookAir1,1
I have a good sized external drive for this, but it is firewire (the original firewire).
Is there a way to connect the drive to the laptop? I tried a firewire connector to USB male 'gender bender' but got an error message that the USB port shut down because it was drawing too much power.
jeff

I have never heard of a Firewire to USB adapter that works reliably on a Mac.
Therefore, there is no good Firewire option, particularly on a version 1 MacBook Air.
More recent ones with ThunderBolt will adapt to Firewire, but not the old ones.

So, what choices DO you have?
USB direct to an external drive.
Wireless to a hard drive attached to an Airport base station, or the internal drive on a Time Capsule.
or, your could back up to an NAS storage device, again through wireless.

Does your external hard drive have a USB port, in addition to the Firewire port? I know some of the older ones do not.

You could also move your existing hard drive to a different case that has the needed USB port.

After I sent my original post, my USB port died. I think I killed it with the firewire to USB conversion adapter. Apple thinks they can replace just the port for $60 giving me a 60% chance of success.
The wireless route sounds like it is the best. I do not have a real airport but do have a wireless router. Can I network with it, connecting the firewire external drive to my imac which does have a firewire port?
jeff

I have never heard of a Firewire to USB adapter that works reliably on a Mac.
Therefore, there is no good Firewire option, particularly on a version 1 MacBook Air.
More recent ones with ThunderBolt will adapt to Firewire, but not the old ones.

So, what choices DO you have?
USB direct to an external drive.
Wireless to a hard drive attached to an Airport base station, or the internal drive on a Time Capsule.
or, your could back up to an NAS storage device, again through wireless.

Does your external hard drive have a USB port, in addition to the Firewire port? I know some of the older ones do not.

You could also move your existing hard drive to a different case that has the needed USB port.

Your best choice is the USB port.

I don't think the file-sharing to the iMac will work with Time Machine, but I could be wrong. It certainly won't hurt anything to test it. If Time Machine on the MBAir will see the drive, while it's connected to the iMac, then go for it.

Be sure to ask Apple for the possible cost if the "60% chance" doesn't repair the failure.

They are talking $350+ for replacing the logic board, but they will
not charge me for trying just the new port if it doesn't do the trick.
They suggested instead of doing a logic board, that i buy a new Mac.
It is too bad because the hard drive quit a few months ago and I had
to replace it.
jeff

Your best choice is the USB port.

I don't think the file-sharing to the iMac will work with Time Machine, but I could be wrong. It certainly won't hurt anything to test it. If Time Machine on the MBAir will see the drive, while it's connected to the iMac, then go for it.

Be sure to ask Apple for the possible cost if the "60% chance" doesn't repair the failure.

Yes, I hope that it's just the USB port.
And, yes, not worth replacing major parts now, other than for sentiment, or for a collector.
OR - this gives you a good "opportunity" to get the new MBAir, which are top notch systems, I think.

Back